Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    owenssurf1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2015, 10:28 PM
    Kenmore stackable dryer hums but won't start
    I have a 24" Kenmore stackable washer/ dryer. The washing machine works fine, but, the dryer will not start. When I turn the on switch, it will hum but not start. Before this happened, it had been squealing off and on. More on than off. How or what do I need to do in order to fix this?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2015, 02:56 AM
    You need a main bearing, a belt, and to clean it. You will have to clean the drier out thoroughly. Every air duct will have to be removed and scraped and washed out to remove baked on lint deposits which bakes on like a concrete lining. This will burn so the manufacturer has installed the safeties to keep from having a house fire. Driers were the number one cause of fires at one time. Look at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMP7BW1lLs4 to see how. Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBiRw-KElC4 ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFTZGgVisCI
    When you finish cleaning the drier replace the belt and the bearings and support rollers, if any.

Note that on most of the videos it does not show them washing out the parts, but this is important because it's the only way to really get the parts clean, just don't get motor wet or the capacitor if it has one. Vacuum out the motor. I would move the drier out to your garage to have plenty of space to work. You also want to check your vent and clean it, also. The job is really easier than it sounds. There is no shortcut that will work; it has to be cleaned well. Before you re-assemble it make sure to use white lithium grease (high-temp grease) and grease all bearings. Just vacuuming out the dryer a little does little good. You also want to check the vent and clean it out. When you are done you will have a new dryer and it will dry like new again. You want to clean it like this every two years or every year with many children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore stackable dryer won't turn [ 0 Answers ]

Hello everyone I'm new to site. I have a stackable kenmore washer/dryer Model 417 98702891 Serial xe03300964 Dryer will not turn. When I turn the on button, there is a faint buzz but dry does not turn I cleaned vent area, vent tube. Is there a reset button or anything. Thanks in...

My dryer stopped and won't start but hums [ 2 Answers ]

My dryer hums when I try to turn it on but will not run it just stopped when my husband checked to see if the clothes were dry that was in it. What can be wrong with it?

Kenmore gas dryer hums to start but won't tumble [ 2 Answers ]

My Kenmore gas dryer (model number 110.74672400) hums when I press the start button (as if it will start) but that nothing happens. The dryer does not tumble or heat. Help!

Kenmore Series 70 Dryer - Hums when you push start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Series 70 electric dryer. About 10 years old. Will not start. Hums when you push the start button... and you can smell a electric "burning smell" along with the hum. I disassembled the entire unit last week (when these symptoms started). Everything looked fine... cleaned out...

View more questions Search