Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    latashaj37 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2015, 08:52 AM
    Filing taxes with my now alien spouse.
    Hi,

My spouse from Jamaica and I was just married on 11/7/15. Tax time is approaching and I am confused on how to file taxes. If we file married joint taxes they will look at the world wide income. Will we be able to file for an foreign earned income exclusion to avoid them using his taxes from Jamaica?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2015, 10:03 AM
    You managed to get her a tax id already?

Dec 3, 2015, 12:14 PM
    It is a he, no tax id number SSN yes.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Dec 3, 2015, 12:43 PM
    You would get more help in our tax forum. Basically, as long as you are married as of December 31, you must file as married (married filing jointly or married filing separately). Married Filing Jointly is better tax-wise than Married Filing Separately in almost all situations. Yes, he will be considered resident the whole year to file jointly, and that means his worldwide income the whole year needs to be reported to US taxes. Yes, he should be able to use the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, applying the 12 months before he came to the US.

Dec 3, 2015, 01:05 PM
    Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F-1 Spouse filing married jointly with resident alien - FICA taxes or not? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am still very confused after browsing through so many questions on this topic. This is my situation. 1. I am on H1-B visa and a resident alien for tax purposes for 2010. 2. My wife was a student and was on F-1 visa for the whole year of 2010. She has 3 W2s. She worked for company A from...

Nonresident alien and spouse resident alien Married filing jointly [ 2 Answers ]

I'm on F1 visa (non-resident alien) and my spouse is on H-1B visa (resident alien). We are looking at filing our taxes as Married filing jointly. My social security and medicare taxes were withheld. 1)Can I file for the refund of social security taxes withheld erroneously? Would I be treated as a...

Alien IRS filing without spouse in us [ 1 Answers ]

My spouse hasn't moved to US and doesn't have a valid US visa. How should I file my return as I have been to US for a very short trip.

Married Filing Separately - Spouse non-resident, not filing you.s. Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is a Canadian resident. We got married in the US in April 2008. We are separated and did not live together during the 2008 tax year and my husband has never lived in the US and has never earned any US income. I am planning to file...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search