Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Socalstarter Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2015, 10:52 PM
    Vw passat
    I have this 06 passat 2.0 turbo. I changed the head cylinder and I remove the oil pan and install a new oil pump, after I put everything back together I started the car and it run for about 30 seconds but then it shuted down and I cant make it start again. It just cranks and sputs like wanting to start but it does not. So far I checked for spark and all 4 coils spaks good, the timing belt is aligned as it has to be. I got a code p0190 which is for the fuel rail sensor. Could this little sensor makes the car not to start? Any advise is appreciated. Thank you
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Dec 2, 2015, 11:54 PM
    If you do not get any help on this forum, Might I suggest that you Google "VW Forums"
    There are several to choose from with a wealth of information.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2015, 10:22 AM
    First thing, Check all your wires again... forget any? Plug any in the wrong place? (which in some cars you can do easily)

Dec 3, 2015, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    First thing, Check all your wires again... forget any? Plug any in the wrong place? (which in some cars you can do easily)
    When it started I had to pump it several times and after a various tries it started but 20 to 30 second later it shuted off. When I was checking I found a plug disconnected for the throttle sensor so I connected in but since then it does not start. I deleted the codes and none came back again but the one for the fuel rail pressure sensor. P0190.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Dec 3, 2015, 06:18 PM
    It appears you know quite a lot about cars. Like I say, go to a VW Forum and you will get more help than you think. Have been on the TDI VW forum when I had a Diesel and those guys know VW's. This site is more legal, social, and homey with a very small touch of technical.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2015, 07:33 AM
    . Check/replace the MAP Sensor, after checking hoses and connections. This sensor may be at the heart of your problem. There's a very sensitive crystal resistor inside that is affected by changes in manifold pressures. It affects timing and fuel injection.

. Check the fuel pressure on the fuel rail, using a gauge.

. Remove the spark plugs and check each cylinder's compression.

Was the head replaced, due to the engine overheating?

Dec 8, 2015, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    . Check/replace the MAP Sensor, after checking hoses and connections. This sensor may be at the heart of your problem. There's a very sensitive crystal resistor inside that is affected by changes in manifold pressures. It affects timing and fuel injection.

. Check the fuel pressure on the fuel rail, using a gauge.

. Remove the spark plugs and check each cylinder's compression.

Was the head replaced, due to the engine overheating?
    I have a fuel pression of 55psi. The compression test gave me 180 on cylinder 1, 160 on #2, 180 on #3, and 160 on #4. I installed a new head with new chain and new tensioner, new timing belt new spark plugs, and a new camshaft possition sensor. I am getting the p0190 code. I checked for spark and for ground with the omhmeter and with a light tester. I got 12.9 in on pin 1 of the coil connection, good ground on pin 2, 0.3 of an amp on pin 3 and good ground on pin 4. I can see the sparks on all coils if I turn the light off and crank it. Any other things to check?
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2015, 08:16 AM
    If you have a Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor, check the connection and sensor. These can be problematic on VWs.

Dec 11, 2015, 12:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    If you have a Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor, check the connection and sensor. These can be problematic on VWs.
    I rechecked the ignition coils and three of the four seem to be bad I turned the lights off and I asked some one to crank the car and I saw only one coil sparking so I moved it from connection to connection to see if it still sparks in the other connections and it did it then I checked the coils using my ohm meter and got some results that I don't know how to interpretate if some of you know the right way to check the coils I will appreciate if you share it with me. My frp sensor is good and the connection as well. Thanks tx
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2015, 08:16 PM
    There's no good way to confidently check coils, since you cannot duplicate conditions under load. Use your best judgment and replace, if necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

06 2.0 turbo passat [ 6 Answers ]

After I finished installing the head and turbo to this vw passat I was ready to start it and I found out the crank sensor wasn't good either so I replaced it and the car started. It was running for almost two weeks with no issues but yesterday it just stopped on a freeway exit. I checked for...

Code installation vw passat [ 0 Answers ]

Vw passat radio code, I have the code but don't know how to put the code in. any help?

2001 Passat [ 15 Answers ]

Where would I find the transmission fluid 'dip stick' type thing on my car? I bought this car with no manual - it's a 2001 Passat turbo 1.8 liter autostick. Thanks!

Passat 98 cuts out [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have recently purchased a VW Passat (R 98) and at times it cuts out otherwise it drives fine.the only time it cuts out when you slowing down the car at give way and or at roundabouts or even when you trying to park it. The mechanic does not seem to understand but it is really annoying.

VW passat warm start [ 15 Answers ]

I have a volkswagen passat on 51 plate and it is having problems starting when warm used to do it rarely now is doing it on regulry basis I think its starting motor any ideas any one thanks

View more questions Search