Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 2, 2015, 08:54 PM
    Long time no post
    I haven't been on AMHD in a while. You know you've been gone a long time when you come back and there's a little message telling you you've been gone a long time. :)

Just posting to connect with all my friends here that aren't friends on fb, which sadly has replaced AMHD for me.

It's sad when you've been gone a long time, and there are no notifications at all. Yup, that's pretty bad.

It is officially the Christmas season, or the holiday season, or whatever season you celebrate this time of year. Lots of great news in our household. We're getting Sydney a dog of her own. Jared, our son, has his own pet, his cat. Kashi kitty is definitely only Jared's cat. Well, we have tons of animals, but none belong solely to Syd. So we're rescuing from a shelter in Brazil. I've been following this shelter for a long while now, and they're wonderful. It's run by two people, a husband and wife team. They take any dog that needs them. They currently have over 60 dogs in their care. Brazil isn't known for it's love of dogs, so many of the dogs are found almost dead, badly beaten, badly injured, left to die. A dogs life just isn't that important to most of the people in that country.

The little dog (he's around 10 pounds, almost a year old) we're adopting, is named Jake. He's a little terrier mix. He was found on the side of the road, severe mange, his legs tied, a coke bottle around his neck. After a long recovery period he is now the happy healthy pup he was meant to be.

He cannot stay in Brazil. There are too many dangers there for a dog his size. So we're adopting him. He's come to Canada!

He could be here within a month, once we raise the funds to get him here, which won't be cheap. He gets neutered on Friday, then recovery, then he needs to get his shots, then he needs to be cleared for travel. We could get him shortly after Christmas. Best Christmas present ever.

So that's what's going on in our home. Tell me what's going on with all of you. I hope this post finds you all well, and happy. Can't wait to hear any good news you have to share.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 2, 2015, 11:51 PM
    Glad to see you back, at least for a little post
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2015, 10:00 AM
    I have to hand it to you.. thats no small thing to accomplish. Canada doesn't require proof that's all been done BEFORE it is allowed there plus have a quarantine period after it arrives?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 3, 2015, 04:00 PM
    Lifes good, all is well. end of story lol.

How much does it cost to bring the dog from Brazil?
    Pets Expert

Dec 3, 2015, 05:13 PM
    @ Smoothy. Passing the physical in Brazil, which has strict requirements to fly a dog out of country, is enough to get him here. No quarantine once he's here. We'd pick him up from the airport, and bring him home. :)

@cdad. It's not cheap. The flight will cost almost $800USD, and then a crate needs to be purchased. The crate has to be one approved by the airlines, it will cost from $100-$150USD. So all in all, almost $1000USD, around $1300 CDN.

I'm actually starting a go fund me page on Facebook today to get Jake here. I have a lot of friends that have stepped up and offered to help us get him here to a safe forever home. :)

Picture? Would you guys like to see our little Jake?

Oh for goodness sake, I've forgotten how to post pictures here!

Attachment 48028Attachment 48029Attachment 48030

Did it! Boo ya!

Two of how he looks now, one of how he looked right after he was found on the side of the road.

Oh, and the mange is a type that once it's cured, it's gone. It's not a type of mange that's hereditary, and comes back with stress. His was the kind that is contagious, but only when your immune system is very low. As a result he had to be sequestered from the other dogs for a long while, until he had a clean bill of health.

As you can see in the pictures, he's a healthy pup now. He's become the dog he was meant to be, and will be given a great home with us, forever. :)
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 4, 2015, 02:39 PM
    Maybe you can see the pictures but not everyone can. When I click it it gives me this.

You have attempted to view a Attachment that no longer is available. Please click one of the links in the menu to continue.
    Pets Expert

Dec 4, 2015, 04:13 PM
    Sad. Did I do it wrong?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2015, 04:17 PM
    Yep, no worky for me too.
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 4, 2015, 08:18 PM
    Alty, you can put them up on Picpaste.com and drop the links here. It is a free service and everyone can see them.
    Pets Expert

Dec 5, 2015, 04:49 PM
    I'll try that Cdad. May take a while. You know me and technology.

You know you could just join fb and friend me, then you can see all the pictures. :)
    Pets Expert

Dec 5, 2015, 05:50 PM
    I just had the scissors in my hand, put them down, and now I can't find them anywhere? They can't have wandered off. WTH?
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 5, 2015, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I'll try that Cdad. May take a while. You know me and technology.

You know you could just join fb and friend me, then you can see all the pictures. :)

Alty it is so easy you will be surprised. Also I dont join social media sites for any reason. I couldnt even be paid to join them. All of those things that many think are wonderful are leading to the destruction of the internet and free speech.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Short hot water time in showers long time at sink faucets [ 0 Answers ]

I just replaced a 50 gallon natural gas water heater with a new Whirlpool of the same size and specifications. We have a Laing 303 recirculating pump on a timer. I've checked and rechecked all the connections, hot to hot cold to cold, thermostat temp, dip tube is not broken. I get plenty of...

Why a concrete driveway it take long time to get uniforme color in winter time? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just have a driveway done, and it has different color thy pour the concrete in winter and cover with blanquets, and I will like to know if the color going to be all the same?

Sci fi a long long time ago [ 6 Answers ]

Do not remember much -it was in a jungle and this slime kept doubling in size and would soon take over the world. That all I can remember does anyone have any idea as to the title??

View more questions Search