Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labram Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2015, 04:46 AM
    Torque required
    Hi, I need to know how much torque is required to rotate a carousel type application from 0 to 5rpm.
    The total mass of the rotating carousel including the shaft is 1198kg.
    The PCD is 1.1m.
    There will be a motor gearbox attached to the shaft via a drive and driven sprocket

Much appreciated thanks.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2015, 05:50 AM
    WHat did your textbook have to say on this topic... What do you think it is and how did you arrive at that answer.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 2, 2015, 06:59 AM
    smoothy - this one is clearly not a homework question.

labram - the question as phrased is indeterminate. You need to tell us:

a. How quickly you want it to spin up to speed. The longer the time period you allow, the lower the torque needed.
    b. Some information on the geometry of the carousel, or better yet: its moment of inertia. What do you mean by "PCD?"
    c. Any information on values of friction presented by the bearings or other restraining forces.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Torque required to climb hill [ 12 Answers ]

How to clcuate the required torque for a car to climb hill using electric moter? Car weight is 190kg, speed is around 25-35km/h. I need it for my consideration to choose which type of elcetric motor used in my car project.

Torque required to rotate 10 lb-ft? [ 1 Answers ]

Assembly has a 20:1 gear reducer and a 36 tooth and 18 tooth sprocket arrangement.

Need help with Calculation of torque required [ 6 Answers ]

Hi to all members, I having problem finding the torque required for the motor to rotate the lever beam clockwise... hoping someone can guide me solve the problem... This is the image I attach... http://img838.imageshack.us/i/31088063.jpg Thanks

View more questions Search