Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rob1955 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2015, 12:46 PM
    AC/heater blower won't turn off
    Hi, I have a 25y AC/heater. When I turned the heater off this morning, it turned off but the blower didn't. If I turned the heater back on the flame would not go on.opening the filter gate was the only way to turn off the blower.Closing it back up turns the blower back on. What might be the cause for this?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 1, 2015, 04:03 PM
    You have a short, likely in the mother board and they can easily run over $100. Good news is you can let it run, it will use very light more power than a blower that runs and shuts off. I set my stat to ON and always let the fan run. Home is much more evenly heated and cooled

Dec 1, 2015, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    You have a short, likely in the mother board and they can easily run over $100. Good news is you can let it run, it will use very light more power than a blower that runs and shuts off. I set my stat to ON and always let the fan run. Home is much more evenly heated and cooled
    The flame won't turn on so I don't have any heat.Should I just try to re-ignite the pilot light?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 1, 2015, 07:20 PM
    Sorry, I concentrated too much on your blower. If you have an actual pilot flame that has gone out then by all means relight the pilot. BTW when you shut off the heat today how did you go about that and why?

Dec 1, 2015, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Sorry, I concentrated too much on your blower. If you have an actual pilot flame that has gone out then by all means relight the pilot. BTW when you shut off the heat today how did you go about that and why?
    I just turned it off with the thermostat switch. Just turned the switch from heat to off. The blower never turned off. I only turn the heat or ac on every once in a while.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2015, 03:04 AM
    You have a stuck fan switch on the heat exchanger. Take a big screwdriver and tap the sides and the contacts should break free. Replace it as soon as you can. I do not know what brand of furnace you have, but most fan switches are in a rectangular box affixed to the front of the heat exchanger and as soon as you remove the front panel it is right in front of you, on the right, usually in a silver box with removable cover.

Dec 4, 2015, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drtom4444 View Post
    You have a stuck fan switch on the heat exchanger. Take a big screwdriver and tap the sides and the contacts should break free. Replace it as soon as you can. I do not know what brand of furnace you have, but most fan switches are in a rectangular box affixed to the front of the heat exchanger and as soon as you remove the front panel it is right in front of you, on the right, usually in a silver box with removable cover.
    Thank you. I will try that tonight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower will not turn off, a/c nor heater will turn on? [ 2 Answers ]

Having an issue with "what I believe" is a YORK furnace in my home built by LANAR - mod# G8C 10020 MUD11A. Problem is that the blower (recently replaced 2 months ago), is now running continuously. Following the blower replacement by a service tech, I believe the unit was operating normally... but...

Heater won't turn on/if I manually turn it on the air is cool [ 0 Answers ]

Heater won't turn and if I do it manually it blows cool air

Furnace sometimes won't fire, blower fan sometimes won't turn off [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a natural gas furnace that is starting to give me grief. Often when I call for heat the motor and blower fan turn on and I get a blue induction flame, but the tubes won't ignite. At first I would turn off the furnace at the thermostat, wait for the fan to stop (which would sometimes...

Heater does not turn on and blower fan does not stop [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I Heating unit is actinf weird today. This morning when I woke up, the fan was on and did not turn off. I check the air temperature and it was coming out cold. I noticed the thermostat was reporting 64 degrees when I usually keep it on hold at 71. I set the thermostat to Off but the fan...

View more questions Search