Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BoaG Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2015, 08:03 AM
    Having an auto loan and converting it to personal loan
    I purchased a car from a dealer by getting an auto loan, I decided that I did not want the car because I found something that I work better with. So then I returned it and they gave me a check back but not the complete amount. They charged me a restocking fee. I accepted. Now my bank is asking me to pay it in full. I don't have the money to pay it all back.
    I am asking for them to change it to a personal loan.
    So I am currently working on getting them to make the change if possible. I understand that they can charge me a higher interest rate of course which I am willing to pay.

How would you handle this if you did not have the money anymore. FYI I use the monies to buy me a cheaper car and pay off some items that I owed.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Dec 1, 2015, 08:12 AM
    Talk to the bank. Depending on the amount they might go for a personal loan or they might just accept a payment schedule for it. It is between you and the bank now and it will vary from bank to bank.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2015, 10:47 AM
    I agree with CravenMorhead. We are talking going from a secured load to an unsecured loan Just because you qualified for the one, doesn't mean you will for the second. And you are right.. higher risk to the bank equals higher interest rate and tighter requirements.

You made a mistake buying anything else with that money. It was issued SPECIFICALLY for a specific Vehicle and a lien was to be put on that vehicle that somehow was skirted past.

If that lien was actually recorded... that dealer can't resell the car until it is released by the bank.. and the bank won't release the lien until they have their money back.

You really won't be "Converting a loan". You will be taking out a new loan to pay off the old loan. Far easier through the same lender.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 1, 2015, 10:44 PM
    Several problems, you can not just give them the car back without paying off the car loan. The bank with the car loan will hold the title, making it impossible to resell the car, until this is paid off.

You could not even legally agree with the car place, to accept less, than the full amount, unless you were able to pay off the loan. (think fraud)

So you get a personal loan for the difference in the money you go for the car, and what is owed. (you will owe interest to them also) And pay the bank off.

This was all issues you needed to talk about before car was returned.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 2, 2015, 07:47 AM
    Talk to the bank and see what they are willing to do for you. Glad you're willing to pay extra money because you probably will.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 2, 2015, 10:10 AM
    What is your collateral for a personal loan? A home, some stocks, a 401K? Or just a used car, which won't help.
    I doubt that you will be granted a personal loan. If you are, it might be at rates as high as a credit card. You might be better off applying for a new card with a 'teaser' interest rate and juggle cards til it's paid off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit union auto loan approved, rec'd check purchased auto & then they declined loan [ 6 Answers ]

Son applied for auto loan through credit union, credit union approved the loan, sent the check for the loan. Purchased the auto and signed all the paperwork. Three days after taking possession of auto, the credit union phoned and said they can not honor the loan. Tried to contact them for a...

Loan default auto loan [ 0 Answers ]

My husband took a truck loan out over two years ago. He was arrested in another state for transporting drugs in that state. He is in prison and the truck is in the possession of that state. The payment was set up to come out of a joint savings account we have with the bank he has the loan with....

Auto loan converted to personal loan with same monthly installments (72 mo.) [ 1 Answers ]

Topic: None Chosen Your Question: "I have a auto loan converted to a signature loan due to the bank not receiving the car title, so they converted it to a persoanl loan. Once the bank did that my auto loan (secured loan) just became a personal loan (unsecured loan) but yet the months of...

Auto reposession/Default on Auto Loan [ 3 Answers ]

To whom could lend some immediate advice, I purchased a 2005 brand new vehicle in 2005. This automobile has been repossessed as of 5/07. In addition, I filed bankruptcy (Chapter 13) in 2006 to avoid this very problem, however that has been dismissed for lack of payments. My current...

View more questions Search