Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Perucki Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2015, 05:19 AM
    Florida Real Estate Law Evicting squatters
    We are about to close on a property that has a "friend" of the owner staying there with a few scant pieces of furniture. They are asking for money to vacate the house. Should we close? What should we do please? Do we have to turn on water and electric? What if they destroy the house? We haven't completed the walk through yet. Any ideas?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 1, 2015, 05:25 AM
    Don't even think about closing until the house is completely empty and the "friend" is gone. Getting rid of residents is the seller's responsibility, not yours. And do not have the utilities turned on until you know the house is empty and you know exactly which date you'll be closing. The walk-through should be done an hour before the closing.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 1, 2015, 05:26 AM
    Not legal advice, just an opinion.

Should we close?
    No. Let present owners solve a problem they created or allowed to develop.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 1, 2015, 06:13 AM
    No you do not close, you inherit the renter (sorry they are a renter, even if not paying money, they are not a squatter)

You do not close till that person is out of the house, once you close, if they are still in the house, they are your renter and you could be one to two months getting them out, and may have to furnish utilities till they do.

Also if they ruin anything, it is just your lose.

So let the seller deal with this, and only close once the house is empty and you have done a final inspection.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 1, 2015, 07:56 AM
    I agree with the above. If you are eager to close soon, then consider paying them to get out, but only if the sellers could care less when they get their money.

Paying means standing outside with a paper for them to sign saying that they agree that they have totally vacated in exchange for X amount of cash, and new locksets to install on the doors. I wouldn't give them more than $500 tops, cash, at the sidewalk. And that's only if you are desperate. Many resistant 'tenants' are very wily and know the law.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2015, 12:31 PM
    I can't imagine a closing attorney would have allowed this issue to go this far. You can't evict them, it's not your house. I would not offer them anything to leave, that's what they want. Have the current owner evict or don't close. Believe me, their agent wants the commission, it will happen. Do nothing on your own, it may come back to haunt you.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 1, 2015, 04:00 PM
    All good advice, no such thing as squatters rights, they are tenants and apparently someone must evict them but that's no you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Florida real estate law squaters? [ 1 Answers ]

My Ex Husband is living in a home that I bought about 6 year ago. I pay the mortgage and all repairs on the house. Does he have any claim to the property?

Does Florida have an Anti-deficiency law in Real estate Foreclosures [ 2 Answers ]

Does Florida have an Anti-deficiency law pertaining to Mortgage Foreclosures

State of Florida real estate contract for deed law [ 2 Answers ]

How long (approx) to remove a buyer of real estate with a contract for deed if they default on payments in Florida. Thanks very much.

Florida Real Estate Law [ 3 Answers ]

How often, and what is the maximum amount that a landlord can charge a tenant for a rental increase?

View more questions Search