Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andypreuss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2015, 07:53 PM
    Silicone vs plumbers putty
    I have a leaky trap in my shower drain. I was told today to use silicone instead of plumbers putty. It is a fiberglass tub/shower unit and he said it will bond better and create a better seal.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 30, 2015, 08:00 PM
    If your trap is leaking neither is the correct fix. Traps employ nylon washers and yours may have failed, Replacing the washer is the correct fix. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAfO66ONkZM
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2015, 08:23 PM
    That and drains tend to have soap deposits that would inhibit anything from bonding well. Best to fix it right the first time. Leaks tend to become very expensive if not stopped quickly and permanently.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 30, 2015, 08:50 PM
    Hi Andy. My guess is that you are referring to the shower STRAINER? If this is the case, and the shower floor shows there is a "flexibility" in the shower floor, then silicone is definitely the best bet. Otherwise, if the shower pan is rigid, plumber's putty or silicone caulking works fine, either way!

Back to you...

Mark
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 1, 2015, 08:06 PM
    Can you re-phrase "leaking trap" ? Leaking from a joint or corroded through pipe wall ? Perhaps, post a photo of it if you can.

In the interim:. If your trap is plastic and is glued together - than cut it out and install new trap. If your trap is washer & nut combination, than unscrew the two nuts, install new trap, new washers, and tighten the nuts. If your trap happens to be Cast Iron and it leaks - then loosen both Fernco fittings - one on each side of the trap - remove old trap, insert new one and tighten the Fernco couplings.5
    No matter what kind of trap you have, it is relatively easy & inexpensive fix. Should take you 15 minutes to install new trap in place of the leaking one.

Putting silicon or plumber's putty over a hole in a leaking trap is like putting a chewing gum over it - in a hope it will stop the leak. It will seal the leak for day or two - and the same problem will re-appear. Do it right first time.

Hope that helps

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you get plumbers putty off/out of pipe threads? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to get putty off pipes in between 2 pipes

How do you get plumbers putty off/out of pipe threads? [ 0 Answers ]

How do I get plumbers putty off pipes?

Silicon Jel or Plumbers Putty? [ 6 Answers ]

When installing a new batroom faucet, is it better to use silicone or plumbers putty around the drain? I have always used putty - this new faucet drain said to use silicone - I did and it leaked. I guess I didn't use enough. Will putty be OK to use?

Tub drain plumbers putty [ 13 Answers ]

Water used to build up underneath the bathtub (surrounding the pipe connected to tub drain hole) every time water is running on the bathtub. See attached slide for more details of the problem.

Plumbers putty or silicone to seal bathtub drain [ 4 Answers ]

Is it disastrous to use plumbers putty instead of silicone to seal a bathtub drain which uses ABS pipes ? I've gotten conflicting advice with little explanation that sounds reasonable. Thanks for your replies on this and for all your help in the past

View more questions Search