Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sean999 Posts: 117, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2015, 06:26 AM
    Learning Aikido philosophy without practicing Aikido and others
    Hi,

I learned aikido for 3 months. I am really interested in aikido and its philosophy. But I got a problem. I can't make flying ukemi(a falling technique with jumping and flowing). Now, I can't return to aikido class because of my job. There are two questions I want to ask.

(1) Can I learn Aikido philosophy without being practicising aikido? ( Although I know the basis of aikido movements but now I have no chances to go to class. And I think Aikido philosophy is really really useful in daily life. So, I think that I can learn and use Aikido philosophy in daily life although I am not practising Aikido) Am I right?

(2) If someday, God give me chances to return to aikido classes, can I negotiate with my teachers for me not to do flying ukemi? Is it rude? I am a tall guy and sometimes have back pain problems. However, because of flying ukemi, I can't lose my aikido dream when I have chances.

Please answer for me. Thank you for helping.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 29, 2015, 11:05 PM
    Three months is not enough time to even know a basic knowledge. If you had three years of practice, This is also a art form, that can not be learned on your own. (while you can not really learn the others on your own, they have basic form Kata that could be learned with some self study.

In three months there are 100's of moves you don't know, and while you can ask a instructor not to learn something, it is not realistic and silly, since harder moves, stack on the basics.

If you want to merely learn philosophy, look at Buddhism (where a lot of this comes from) Since again without a good instructor, you can read about it, but not fully understand it, It is more than a philosophy, it is a lifestyle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Aikido breathing [ 2 Answers ]

"breather in and let yourself soar to the ends of the universe; breathe out and bring the cosmos back inside. Next, breathe up all the fecundity and vibrancy of the earth. Finally, blend the breath of heaven and the breath of earth with that of your own, becoming the breath of life itself" The...

Aikido founder [ 0 Answers ]

From internet, I found that the founder of aikido fought with a naval officer in 1925. At that time, a naval officer have weapon and the founder of aikido was unarmed. The founder of aikido won this fight without hurting the officer. If someone who don't understand aikido will not understand...

Aikido [ 3 Answers ]

Aikido is a kind of japanese martial art. Aikido is more spiritual training than physical training. I learned aikido for 3 months. Now I want to share my thinking about Aikido. Unlike other martial arts, the main point of Aikido techniques are learning the force and direction. For example, in...

Is aikido fun [ 1 Answers ]

I want to start a martial art and my top to choses are now brazilian jiu jitsu or aikido. Please help me

Pregnancy while training Aikido [ 1 Answers ]

?? Hi there I do Ki Aikido, and train about 5 times a week (total 8 hours per week) - I am planning on starting a family soon but would hate to give up my Aikido while pregnant. I've heard that one can still train, just with added precaution and adapting the training. Could you perhaps...

View more questions Search