Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    calcitydan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2015, 10:30 AM
    Pa. Seller cancels car sale, Is not buyer entitled to deposit refund?
    Bought car in eBay, 1st seller had wrong name on paypal acct for deposite to go through to him - got refunded & reapplied to another pay pal name, then made balance payment through pay pal but again clearance time was not acceptable BY SELLER, now seller does not want to wait for pay pal to release pending delivery of car to me via shipper & wants bank to bank xfer of funds. After seller canalled balance payment & 10 days later I got it back, confidence level in seller to complete transaction is gone. Deposit was not refunded & he is refusing. Do I have legal right to my deposit from a transaction he cancelled without notification accept that he made a decision & was doing it? Initially he stated that he would not spend one penny till delivery, later he stated he understood & would make payments along with a schedule. Given all this I feel I am entitled to a deposit refund. Factual responses appreciated from all & many thanks.
    Dan
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2015, 10:46 AM
    First. Was there a clause in the sale requiring the funds to be in his hands in X amount of time?

That is key. If they were not in his hands due to any reason... then no you aren't because there were other ways to get money to them. (This is one reason many high value sales or cars do not accept paypal for anything but a deposit.) If there was no clause and he decided not to go through with it then yes you are.

How long from the time of the close of the sale to when you made the rest of the payment?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 28, 2015, 10:46 AM
    I use Paypal and sell on ebay.
    I can't believe that you sent the payment the second time! Red flags everywhere.
    Yes, you have a legal right to the deposit.
    BUT car sales on ebay are not covered by ebay buyer protection (there is a coverage but it doesn't apply to this situation and is very limited).
    Will you tell us the item number? Or at least the seller's ID? And explain what exactly you mean by HIM making payments? Payments of what? The deposit?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 28, 2015, 11:52 PM
    Car sells at times are frauds. And there is no real car. I honestly can not believe someone would send money on a car, they have not actually sat in and drove.

You are entitled to the money, so do you have the sellers real name, his telephone, his actual address to file a law suit. Do you have serial numbers of the car and so on
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2015, 03:26 PM
    Have you gotten Paypal involved in this? You should do so immediately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who should smog the car buyer or seller [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a car from a closed relative.I took the pink slip to dmv and claim that I bought the car worth of 2300.in return dmv told me to do a smog test.when I did it was failed. So I went to the mechanic and get it fixed and passed the smog test.I paid all the cost from my pocket.my question is...

Sold car, now buyer wants refund [ 28 Answers ]

So, I bought this car six months ago but just acquired the title last week after I made final payment (this was a verbal agreement private sale). I decided to sell the car immediately for financial reasons. I sold the car but was not aware that the odometer was incorrect until the buyer called me...

Seller wants buyer to pay alimony lean on a short-sale. Is this legal? [ 6 Answers ]

We wrote an offer on a short-sale SFR home in Orange County, CA. Seller wants buyer to pay alimony judgement lien that does not show on the title of the property. Does an alimony judgement follow a person or property? Does a judgement liens take first position on a property over the mortgage...

Buyer wants deposit back, what are seller's options [ 15 Answers ]

House for sale, have real estate agent. Buyer has same agent as us, the seller. Buyer put $500 deposit on house and had inspection done. Inspection showed nothing that "HAD" to be changed for sell to go through but buyer asked for us to do a few things. We agreed to do 2 of them. We have already...

Am I entitled to a refund for my car? [ 1 Answers ]

This may be a little complicated, so I want to explain it the best and shortest possible way. I went to a car dealership in Dec. 07 and put 500.00 down towards a car. About a month later the finance counselor who sold me the car told me that my employment couldn't be verified. I voluntarily...

View more questions Search