Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Charmed24 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2015, 09:29 AM
    Gums hurt week after wisdom teeth extraction
    It's Saturday and I got my wisdom teeth out last Thursday so it's been a week and 2 days. I thought things were starting to get back to normal up until yesterday. My gums started to sting. It is on the inside part of my teeth not the outside. It is also both sides on the bottom. It feels like it's in between my gums and my teeth (not the gums between each of the teeth but the area where the actual gum meets the tooth). I feel the stinging anytime I swallow or smile, so when my mouth muscles move a particular way. I haven't tried pain medication yet but I feel that it won't stop the stinging. I am not sure what is causing it but I am worried infection. I have been swishing with salt water as the dentist recommended. And I haven't been eating much to infect the area because I can still barely open my mouth, and I can't bring myself to chew normally yet as it hurts and I feel I will get stuff in the extraction wounds. Anyway if anyone has any idea what it is, some information would be helpful. Their office is closed on weekends so I can't call.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 28, 2015, 10:50 AM
    Please shine a flashlight in your mouth while looking in a mirror and tell us what you see.
    The good news is that you haven't needed pain medication all week, when most of us would be screaming without it.
    So I suspect that you are healing OK.
    But beet red gums or swelling is a sign of infection. Were you given antibiotics to take starting the first day?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 28, 2015, 11:19 AM
    "I haven't tried pain medication yet but I feel that it won't stop the stinging." Um, now's a good time to take that pain medication (correctly). The results might surprise you.
    Charmed24 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2015, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Please shine a flashlight in your mouth while looking in a mirror and tell us what you see.
    The good news is that you haven't needed pain medication all week, when most of us would be screaming without it.
    So I suspect that you are healing OK.
    But beet red gums or swelling is a sign of infection. Were you given antibiotics to take starting the first day?
    I took some pain medication at first and the prescribed antibiotics, I looked in the mirror and saw nothing and even got my mom to take a look and she saw nothing that looked out of the ordinary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How soon can I use a straw after wisdom teeth extraction? [ 1 Answers ]

I had all 4 or f my wisdom teeth taken out last Wednesday and the bottom two and the top right one were impacted. When can I use a straw again it's a pain in the butt to avoid them

Wisdom teeth extraction [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got my 4 wisdom teeth out sat, it's now wed and I still have a swollen face and some soreness around my jaw area. I can't really open up my mouth that much, so I can only brush some parts of my teeth. I'm using warm salt water to rinse but I have really bad breath, I'm hoping its just from...

Severe pain after wisdom teeth extraction [ 2 Answers ]

I had my wisdom teeth out August 1st and I was in a lot of paIn but it's gotten worse. My breathe smells awful and I have to take ibeuprophen 24/7 just to not cry. I can't open my mouth fully and my ears hurt so bad I want to cry. Could this be somehing bad or is it normal and I'm overreacting....

Wisdom teeth extraction [ 2 Answers ]

My wisdom teeth in lower jaw are are still under gum and causing terrible headaches. My dentis told me that extraction of the wisdom teeth would damage my facial nerves for sure as to bad position of the teeths. My questions are: 1. Can a wisdom tooth only partly be extracted, so one part at...

Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Can I Use A Straw? [ 7 Answers ]

First thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and help me out. I feel bad calling my dentist to ask such a simple question he probably told me the answer to when I was still not all the way there. My two upper wisdom teeth were pulled 5 days ago in a simple extraction. Both had...

View more questions Search