Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    therapist Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 27, 2015, 07:05 PM
    How to change a company's mind?
    I work for a large, franchise dealing with massages. The franchise owner does not feel the need to give us benefits, respect our body boundaries(i.e. the ability to tell the front desk that we can not physically handle anymore massages), the ability to turn away clients who should not receive massages due to medical issues, etc. Not to mention that this is a common problem with this company.

I have worked for this company before under a different owner and the same thing has happened. It feels like we are nothing more than cattle that will be tossed out like trash when we hurt ourselves.
    So, when I had to go back because my husband lost his job I thought I would do my best to make a difference. I rose into management quickly and at first loved it. But I just recently stepped down because I can't live with the fact they set up the whole system to overwork these therapists, pay them very minimal pay, and give zero benefits. They even tell them to go against the very training they were taught! It makes me sick to my stomach to know that they use and abuse them while the uppers make an unreasonable amount of money. The owner constantly posts pictures on Facebook of a mansion she is currently building.
    They do just enough to tempt them into the work and then don't care when they leave injured or burntout.
    I don't know how to organize these therapist into action.
    I've tried talking to the owner but it always falls on deaf ears! I really want to write a letter to a news station to call them out on the abusive practices they do to their therapists. I have even thought about contacting a union. Anything at this point will help. Because so far letters and talking with them has not worked.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2015, 08:02 PM
    Great way to get fired.

You are probably "At-Will" or at the very most might have a contract that you would be violating enabling them to terminate it.

At best they will look for the first opportunity to dump you. Worst you will get fired immediately. Or just told your services are no longer needed.

Sorry, they own the business, It's their prerogative to make large amounts of money. What's stopping you from starting your own business and making lots of money yourself? Seriously. That's your best option. If you know the business that well, open your own place, then you can make that money.

All they have to do is limit your hours and they don't have to pay ANY benefits if it's a big enough business... in fact I think law only requires it for businesses with 50+ employees AND work in excess of a certain number of hours. Thank Obamacare for the reduction of hours and the reductions of the numbers of full time employees.

Business owners are entitled to make money, they took all the risk... otherwise they will close them. They aren't a charity.

And seriously... if you think you can do better... what's stopping you from trying. That's what's great about this country, if you can do better than the next guy... you will be a bigger success than them.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 27, 2015, 08:04 PM
    I don't know how to organize these therapist into action.
    The Five Basic Steps to Organizing a Union | UE

How to Organize a Union | Communications Workers of America

How to Join or Form a Union

How to Organize a Union at Your Workplace | eHow

Build support among a majority of the employees at your workplace for the union. Talk about important workplace issues with employees. These discussions should occur only during breaks or away from company property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I do to help him change his mind? [ 0 Answers ]

So there's a cute guy that likes me. I know he does cause je told my friend he was falling for me so much. I like him too. I told my friend to ask him why doesn't he just ask me out already and he said he doesn't ask me out cause he thinks I will say no. I would totally say YES to him. But he's...

Will he change his mind? [ 2 Answers ]

Moved, AND edited to its own Question/T I feel like my guy friend is playing games with me sometimes, yet sometimes I do feel that he is genuine. My problem is that I can't seem to stop the contact with him. If I don't hear from him in a while, I feel such a strong urge to send a text or...

Will she change her mind? [ 1 Answers ]

Moved to its own thread I am 23 yr old guy with a 2 year old daughter that I have full custody of she is 18 I was her first sexual guy she says that now she feels like she is growing up real fast etc... and I think I started to get too clingy after I finished college because while I was in...

He change his mind [ 5 Answers ]

I met this guy from work like two months ago and at first we didn't talk much but than he started talking to me joking around saying that we should have sex... I always laugh at him believing that he was joking. But one time we were on the messenger he started saying that he was thinking of me and...

Will my ex change his mind about me? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been going out with my boyfriend for 7 months. We recently went on holiday and when we returned then I went away shortly after with one of my girlfriends. When I returned he dumped me. I had been back a week and he we had not seen each other and felt he was not too keen. We finally arranged...

View more questions Search