Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jeha Posts: 81, Reputation: 10

Nov 24, 2015, 10:04 PM
    Dating with children
    Im single and 24, and I'm interested in dating girl (20) with a 2 year old kid. I feel OK about it, but I'm not sure if I know what I'm getting myself into
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 25, 2015, 04:46 AM
    It's a lot more complicated dating women with children, as not only babysitters an issue but the possibility of baby daddies still being in the picture. It's like any other dating situation, get to know her well before you give away your heart,or make any commitments other than dating... and make sure you are not the next baby daddy.

You say you are interested in dating her, so I take it you haven't asked her out yet, so I ask why you want to date her, and how well you know her, and HOW do you know her?
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Nov 27, 2015, 03:32 PM
    I look at this a bit differently.

I think that there are no differences between 'quality' women, and 'quality' women with children. Consider that in today's world, blended families, where both parties have children from previous relationships, are common.

I would advise you to seek out how to best become a good step parent. Many things are at play, such as the relationship your girlfriend has with her child's father, his parents, and relatives. It would be wonderful if they are all supportive and loving adults toward this little girl. It would also be wonderful if your girlfriend, and the father of her child have nothing but the child's best interests at heart, and do their best for this child.

Trouble happens where there is bitterness, anger, unresolved issues, court battles, and shattered families who have taken sides in an issue that shouldn't be an issue. Battles that go on and on, without resolve, for all of the child's life, is not uncommon. I would advise you to carefully observe how ALL the people in this child's life, including your girlfriend, deal with each other.

If your girlfriend has a lot of animosity toward her ex, and his family, and she is fully believed and supported by her own family in feeling she is the one wronged, then I would think twice.

There are ALWAYS two sides. In circumstances like this, there is indeed, a right way, and a wrong way, to raise a healthy child. It is important that for instance, as an example, that the mother of this child never talks badly in front of her daughter, about her father. At least begin with a measure or marker of respect, and maturity that you can see in your girlfriend. If your girlfriend is always angry, sounds vindictive, is uncooperative, and turns on a dime whenever she hears her ex's name, or runs into a simple problem with him, like he will be 10 minutes late picking the child up, and it sounds like the sky is falling, then you have a problem.

So getting into a serious relationship with your girlfriend, isn't just about being a stepfather. It is about much more, and you need to think about that. If you can go forward confident that there are good relationships between all parties, being a good father to this little girl shouldn't be all that difficult.

Best of luck to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dating a widow with children [ 4 Answers ]

Dating a woman for 6 months and her says her kids are not ready to meet me yet

Dating & Children. What would you do? [ 7 Answers ]

This is a long story... I will try and cut it down to details. I met a girl (A) when I was 16 and she was 17, at a camp, for one day. I remember the first time I saw her, the first song we heard, EVERYTHING about that one day that we spent together. We hit it off immediately and proceeded to...

Dating a Widow w/ Children [ 8 Answers ]

I need help! I met a man about 8 months ago. He lost his wife a little over a year ago. When we met, we immediately because good friends a help to each other because I met him on the week my husband left me. We both have small children, who are the same age. As time goes on, we have been getting...

Children and dating [ 17 Answers ]

Hi there, Not sure if this okay to post here but I had a question, regarding kids and dating. I split from my husband four years ago and had no interest in dating until now. Now that I found someone I would like to have in my life, how long should I wait to let him sleepover here once in awhile...

Dating a man with five children. [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone , My name is andria and I am getting ready to make a huge move in my life . I'm from c:confused: alifornia and the man I'm dating is in Oklahoma and I'm getting ready to move there with him and his five children. A 12 yr old 9,7,2 and a 4 month old baby girl. I'm...

View more questions Search