Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobc58 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2015, 06:58 AM
    International Travel While on Probation
    I am on probation for DWI in Texas. My company wants me to go to India on business. Is this possible? All of my fines are paid and I have always been up to date on probation fees. I have around 2 years left out of a 10 year sentence. I have never been in any other trouble.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2015, 08:38 AM
    This is a question for your PI. Sometimes it's not the letter of the law that is the answer, but what the PI will allow.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2015, 06:03 PM
    Do you report on a regular basis to the probation office?

You will need to get a written letter giving you permission for such travel, and when you are allowed to travel, when you must return and so on.

Normally for minor issues like this, (while it does not sound real minor if you have 10 year probation)

So see the probation officer and make a written application for such travel
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2015, 11:57 AM
    10 year probation for a DUI? Are you restricted from drinking and periodically tested for alcohol consumption (EtG)? If you have been clean in the past and have a good relation with your PO, they may allow you to go, but with restrictions I am sure.

Nov 26, 2015, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Do you report on a regular basis to the probation office?

You will need to get a written letter giving you permission for such travel, and when you are allowed to travel, when you must return and so on.

Normally for minor issues like this, (while it does not sound real minor if you have 10 year probation)

So see the probation officer and make a written application for such travel

Yes I report monthly. It was 3rd DUI, I was a slow learner I suppose. I have been sober since July 2007.

Nov 26, 2015, 06:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    10 year probation for a DUI? Are you restricted from drinking and periodically tested for alcohol consumption (EtG)? If you have been clean in the past and have a good relation with your PO, they may allow you to go, but with restrictions I am sure.

It was 3rd DUI. I have been sober since July 2007. Yes I have to do random alcohol testing. All fines were paid off 6 years ago. I have always been on time to PO visits and always paid probation fees at that time. I guess I have a good relationship with my officer. I was on mail in reporting for some time until the state stopped that for DWI offenders with interlock devices on their vehicles.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 26, 2015, 07:07 AM
    Talk to your PO, and see what he says.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International travel [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Canadian citizen with a felony in the u.s. which I was on probation. I am now back in Canada after a voluntary departure from the u.s. and want to travel Europe... Can I still enter Europe with a felony from the states. It wasn't drugs or guns charge

International travel while on probation with a foreign passport [ 1 Answers ]

If someone is on probation, and they have dual citizenship (US and European), can they leave the country using their European passport without being stopped at the airport?

International travel while on probation [ 8 Answers ]

I have a passport that I can travel out of Country. I am on probation. Can I still travel out of country while on probation without getting permisson from probation officer.

International Travel on Probation [ 3 Answers ]

I am on probation that is completed with the month, and I have completed all of my other probation duties and met with my officer my final time. An emergency has come up and I am required to fly to europe for work in 2 days. I don't think I can get clearence with my PO in that time, I think...

View more questions Search