Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NRJ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Resident Clarification for 2006 Tax
    I have stayed in US in 2004 for 351 days and came again in US on 3rd September 2006 and staying there till todate. For Tax 2006 purpuose the stay is calculated as

No of days in 2004 (351*1/6) = 59
    No of days in 2005 = 0
    No of days in 2006 = 120
    Total No of days = 179

I was reading on IRS web site and found there are 5 Grace days we can used to confirm resident status. I just want to clarify that if I can use 4 grace days then my tax status will be Resident. The article source from IRS is as http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf Page 9, example 2

Could you please clarify that I am eligible to be treated as Resident Allen ?

I would appericiate if I will get a quick answere to that.

Thanks in anticipation.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 02:40 PM
    You DO meet Frst Year Choice critieria, but ONLY to file a dual-status return. You CANNOT file as a resident alien because you spent at least one day in 2006 as a non-resident alien.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident of NJ and NY for 2006. WHich state tax to pay? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My employer is in NJ but my client or work location is in NY. My W2 for 2006 has address of NJ until Dec 31, 2006. My employer always deducted taxes as per NJ for 2006. I was living in NJ until October and started staying in NY from October to Dec. Question is - Do I have to pay any NY...

Looking for clarification on filing as a non-resident [ 2 Answers ]

From the postings I have read here so far, it appears I should file my taxes as a non-resident alien as opposed to dual status. Still, here are my particulars, just in case I'm wrong. 1. From Jan-July 2006 I was on F1 (OPT). I came to the US in Aug. 2003 on the F1 and have filed 1040NR-EZ and...

2006 Non-Resident Tax Return [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm a resident of India and come to USA on L1B from India in Nov 4 '2006. I'm working in IBM. I'm living in Garden Grove, CA. I've got my W2 and now I want to file my Tax. 1. What're the Forms I need to fill up for federal and state Tax return? I'm suppose to get refund from...

Non-Resident Status 2006 Clarification [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was going through some of the questions that were answered using the same topic, but was not sure if I got the answer which would help me out, so here goes.. I'm an Indian, single, working in India, who landed in the U.S. for the first time on July 8th 2006, on an L1 Visa, which was...

Resident or Non-resident Alien for tax year 2006? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have been in the US since 20th January 2006 and am on the payroll of my company since July 2006 , for the purpose of filling Tax returns for the year 2006 , am I a resident Alien or a non-resident alien?

View more questions Search