Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coblas Posts: 137, Reputation: 2

Nov 22, 2015, 01:19 PM
    How do I remove the old metal pop-up ring from a bathroom sink drain?
    I'm trying to replace a old Moen #4690 bathroom faucet and pop-up drain. I'm unable to remove the pop-up ring in the sink from the drain pipe that it's attached to so I can pull the drain pipe down to remove it. It doesn't appear to screw in from the top like the new L4621 does. I can't pull the mechanism up because the large nut, washer, and gasket underneath don't fit up through the hole where the drain is and are above a fixed Y in the pipe. I've been able to loosen everything else. Will I have to saw off the pipe under the sink above the large nut? Thank you for any suggestions.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 22, 2015, 01:31 PM
    Loosen the nut underneath all the way down the threads and then pull the cone washer down to the nut... should allow you to push up on the assembly and expose the top enough to unscrew the top ring. If needed, you can cut the cone washer off after you pull it down (use utility knife), which will give you more room up top. Use two pliers here... one on ring up top and the other on the assembly below.

Good luck!

Mark

Nov 22, 2015, 02:19 PM
    All was loosened and I have the access. The problem is that I'm unable to unscrew the top ring. It seems to overlap on the inside of the drain pipe under it less than 1/8" but is solidly attached. I wondered if they were made to screw on in the past.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2015, 02:34 PM
    If possible please post a picture will help to evaluate, Thanks.

John

Nov 22, 2015, 02:57 PM
    Sorry. I don't have the ability to post a picture. If you can imagine that top ring being firmly attached to the pipe sticking up under it in the sink, that's the problem. I can't budge the ring.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 22, 2015, 03:33 PM
    The ring spins off. Did you cut the washer from underneath? If not do that and then grip the ring with a pair of pliers and grip the pipe/tailpiece from the bottom with another pair of pliers and unscrew the ring up top. It can be tough to grip the ring up top with the pliers but eventually you'll get a good bite with the pliers and it should unscrew pretty easy.

Nov 22, 2015, 03:44 PM
    Yes, I cut the washer, but the ring won't budge. Maybe after 44 years that's not surprising.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 22, 2015, 04:04 PM
    Maybe you need bigger pliers. These can be tough, but will always spin off given enough force. Finally, if pliers fail, just cut the pipe above the nut and push the whole thing up through the sink.

Nov 22, 2015, 04:16 PM
    The cutting was what I hoped to avoid. Thank you for the suggestions.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 22, 2015, 05:06 PM
    If you already cut the washer - then take hammer and tap onto the pipe in upward direction, from under the sink. It will get loose.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 22, 2015, 05:06 PM
    Cutting is super easy if you use the right tool... see image. This is a mini hacksaw. With a new blade it should cut the pipe in 1 minute or less! Good luck

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  11.7 KB

Nov 22, 2015, 05:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    If you already cut the washer - then take hammer and tap onto the pipe in upward direction, from under the sink. It will get loose.
    The pipe is loose. It's the ring above the drain that I can't get off so I can back the pipe down.

Nov 30, 2015, 03:52 PM
    Cutting the pipe was the only way. It worked well and it's obvious that the pipe and ring are solidly together. Thank you all for your suggestions.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 30, 2015, 04:35 PM
    Some drains come with the upper ring as a part of the drain tube, some rings screw on top of the drain pipe. You have to determine which one you have and based on that you remove the ring. But in any case, removing drain is always the most difficult part of old faucet removal. Glad you got it removed.

Milo

Dec 3, 2015, 06:21 AM
    Even though the ring and drain tube were bonded, the ring had to be attached separately from the top, since the drain tube underneath has a Y in it to accommodate the drain plug mechanism and has to go in from the bottom. This has been an education. Thank you all for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I remove pop-up shower drain? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a pop-up drain type that I'd like to replace but cannot figure out how to remove it or for that matter if its even possible to replace it. Please help, thanks. Jeff

How to remove an earring from a bathroom sink drain pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Pipe is glued together or stuck, can't remove it. Is there another way to remove the earring besides taking the pipe apart? The earring is gold and diamond, is gold magnetic? Can I fish around with a magnet to try to snag it? Anything else I can do besides take the pipe apart? It appears to be...

My bathroom sink drain plunger won't work,there is ring broken that connects it [ 5 Answers ]

My plunger in bathroom sink won't work.It looks like there is a ring broken that goes through the bottom of eye in plunger.I don't know how to access it to get it out to replace.

I can't remove pop-up stopper from sink [ 11 Answers ]

I just replaced my bathroom centerset faucet and all went well... until it came to replacing the pop up stopper apparatus. I could loosen the nut that holds the apparatus securely to the sink, but I can't remove the apparatus entirely. As you can see from the pictures, the old apparatus is made...

Installing new pop up drain in bathroom sink [ 2 Answers ]

We are installing new pop up drains (the kind you push down on to close and open) on new sinks without overflow. The drain part sticks up about an eighth of an inch from the sink so after it drains there is always a little pool of water around the drain. The drain came with two rubber washers, one...

View more questions Search