Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thinkaboutit Posts: 270, Reputation: 5

Nov 17, 2015, 08:53 AM
    Do I Have To?
    I have to take medication everyday for ADD prescribed for me by a pediatrician. I hate taking it but me da always makes me he doesn't trust me always checks me mouth to see if I've swallowed them. I've made me self throw them up a few times but its gross. I tried looking up if legally he can make me but I can't find anything. Just asking if anyone might know if he can make me keep taking the stuff? I'm 15 nearly 16 and I live in Australia. Cheers
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2015, 10:58 AM
    You are a minor, yes he can make you take it. Making yourself throw up afterwords... come on now... is that really necessary? I think its more of the same bad behavior and bad choices you yourself admit you have from other threads. Its obvious with all your other problems that you need it. Just take it and you will likely find the other problems you have been causing for yourself will decrease.

Continue with willful disobedience and the headstrong attitude... bad things are going likely to happen to you at some point. Notice I say will happen and not might happen. I've seen enough people just like you over my life... 54 years worth, and I have not seen ONE person that had your behavioral issues that were not corrected make it far into adulthood before they "A" got arrested and jailed, "B" got killed or "C" got so hooked on drugs any chance at a regular life was lost forever.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 17, 2015, 11:02 AM
    If you were my kid, I'd ask you, "Why do you hate taking it?"
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Nov 17, 2015, 12:26 PM
    I am sorry, but this young lady has more problems to bring on this forum than a Porcupine has quills and I am pretty sure she is bored and likes to post on this forum. If not, she is one troubled lady and needs psyc. review. If all of her problems are real, I feel sorry for her ma and pa.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 17, 2015, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    I am sorry, but this young lady has more problems to bring on this forum than a Porcupine has quills and I am pretty sure she is bored and likes to post on this forum. If not, she is one troubled lady and needs psyc. review. If all of her problems are real, I feel sorry for her ma and pa.
    I've read her threads since her very first post.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 17, 2015, 12:32 PM
    You don't think you have, or need help with your ADD?

Nov 17, 2015, 02:01 PM
    I don't think I have ADD, but I didn't really even know what it was until I looked it up. I don't know maybe I do I just don't like the way the tablets make me feel I just don't feel like I'm me when I take them lol that probably sounds dumb. Me da said they are good and work because I am doing heaps better at school but that just makes me angry that he thinks it's the medication when I made the choice to behave better and took help with me study. I know it's stupid to throw them up to not take them I just feel as though I have no choice me da won't listen to when I try to talk to him about it not that I blame him I suppose with all the trouble I've caused giving me medication that makes me feel like a zombie must be great for him. I don't see the point in taking medication that makes me feel horrible just because it makes everyone else happy because they think it makes me behave, I think it's unfair and I even thought about running a muck just to try and prove that they don't make a difference but then that would just be stupid and cause more problems.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 17, 2015, 02:35 PM
    Can you make a deal with your dad? You don't take the ADD meds for two weeks, a test to see how you do without them. Then, for those two weeks -- well, you know what you need to do. :)

Your prescibing doctor needs to be in on this, btw.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2015, 02:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinkaboutit View Post
    I don't think I have ADD, but I didn't really even know what it was until I looked it up. I don't know maybe I do I just don't like the way the tablets make me feel I just don't feel like I'm me when I take them lol that probably sounds dumb. Me da said they are good and work because I am doing heaps better at school but that just makes me angry that he thinks it's the medication when I made the choice to behave better and took help with me study. I know it's stupid to throw them up to not take them I just feel as though I have no choice me da won't listen to when I try to talk to him about it not that I blame him I suppose with all the trouble I've caused giving me medication that makes me feel like a zombie must be great for him. I don't see the point in taking medication that makes me feel horrible just because it makes everyone else happy because they think it makes me behave, I think it's unfair and I even thought about running a muck just to try and prove that they don't make a difference but then that would just be stupid and cause more problems.
    Its unfair?. sorry... put away the pity potty. Life is RARELY ever fair. Its not fair for kids... and its far less fair for adults.

What you have gotten away with now as a kid... as an adult in a few short years will land you in serious trouble. Nothing you have every gotten so far is much more than a scolding or a slap on the wrist. As an adult there will be very serious prices to pay for your behaviors. Might not seem fair to you... but its very fair for the people around you who have to put up with your stunts. And well... that's life as an adult. You make a choice and you pay the price if it's a wrong one.

Take a read of what you just wrote...

To most people that's enough proof you REALLY need them. You've been pretty lucky you have a father that cares enough to try to get you help. I know a lot of people that would have thrown you out of the house saying if you insist on doing everything your own way... then go find you own place to live and get a job to pay for it and everything else you need.

What to know what's rough and unfair... you will real, REAL fast.

Smart off to your boss or not do what you are told. You get fired... no job... no money, no money no rent, no rent = no place to live, no money means no food to eat... as an adult... you are on your own. So you really need to get a grasp of what "fair" really is. Its an abstract concept... one kids believe in mostly. Adults know "fair" is very subjective and nothing more than a dream.

Seriously... I've read all your threads as well. I don't think you really want the help you ask for because you sit and complain and refuse to do what you have to do most of the time. THis is picking on me, this isn't fair, I don't want to do this, if they make me take this medicine I'll throw up to spite them, I'm going to run amuck just to prove (pick anything) to them... Sorry that's behavoiour of a child, not someone very close to being an adult. And in very little time... as an adult, you are going to learn the consequences for your choices... good or bad. Because nobody else will care. They have enough of their own problems to earn enough... etc, etc.

Might not seem fair to you... but fair to everyone else is "If I can do this, so can they".

Seriously... read what you just wrote. Now imagine some small kid you know well, throwing a fit because they didn't get what they wanted... didn't get to do what they wanted or didn't want to brush their teeth, take a bath or take their medicine, or any other reason. Now read again what you just told us. Do you see any parallels in it?

DO you see the point of why you NEED this medication? Do you WANT to end up living on the street. Because you are going to have a very hard time getting much less keeping a job for long. A good one anyway with the sort of mindset you are showing us here. Employers don't have to nor do they want to deal with it... they want mature adults who aren't going to cause problems and do what is required of them, when its required of them with out complaining.

Real life is not going to be fair at all while you are thinking the way you think right now. You are going to have a very hard time. And don't count on your parents bailing you out all the time forever. You are causing them a great amount or trouble and stress and at some point they are going to say, enough is enough.

That's going to sound rough... it might even sound mean... but all of it is true and what you are going to be facing very, very soon. What you are dealing with now is nothing compared to when you find yourself out on your own HAVING to support yourself or you will sleep on the ground and eat out of garbage cans.

And don't think you can mooch off friends forever either. They will throw you out fast, they would be working hard to support themselves and won't have money to waste on you so you wouldn't have to.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2015, 03:59 PM
    Your dad should beat you slightly if you don't take them, how is that for an answer.

Yes you have to obey your parents, and when you are 18, you can decide to be sick and go without needed medication.

It sounds like you need other medical treatment, since you have personality issues
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Nov 17, 2015, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Your dad should beat you slightly if you don't take them, how is that for an answer.

Yes you have to obey your parents, and when you are 18, you can decide to be sick and go without needed medication.

It sounds like you need other medical treatment, since you have personality issues
    Good one Chuck. That is part of what is wrong with the kids today. "Time Out" my butt just wished there were time outs when I was growing up.

Nov 19, 2015, 02:47 PM
    I don't mean to complain so much and you are right I do sound like a small kid having a tantrum. I'm just frustrated at the whole situation, I feel like its me own body I should be at least able to be involved in the decision to take medication or at least be heard when I have something to say about how it makes me feel. I know I don't think things through and act before I think sometimes and that's something I'm working on. I made me self throw up the pills so I could sleep I wasn't doing it to defy me da but I hate doing it so I did think about running a muck so they would think they don't work and maybe I wouldn't have to take then anymore, but then I thought about it and realised how stupid that would be and just cause more problems.

I wouldn't mind taken the pills if they didn't affect me how they do its exhausting I can't sleep properly I find it hard to be able to go to sleep my brain in constantly thinking its hard to just switch off, to be honest it kind of feels like I've taken drugs but constantly I feel tired but me brain doesn't I know that probably doesn't make sense. There I go again complaining, I really don't mean to I'm just trying to explain why I don't want to take them. I feel like I've changed I don't feel like me Im so tired. But I don't know maybe that's how I'm suppose to feel everyone else seems to be happy with me behaviour.

Me da doesn't need to beat me to get me to take me medication I always take it. Everyone has their own parenting styles I just don't think it would be right to beat a kid to get them to take medication I think that's wrong but ha what ever you like.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 19, 2015, 03:22 PM
    Did the doctor explain it will take a month or more for the meds to settle into your system? Did he talk with you about side effects and how to deal with them? If not, then you need to see him again to talk about how things are going on. That would be the grownup way to handle this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search