Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dancorm Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2015, 10:14 PM
    Son refuses to go for visitations...
    Hello -

I am writing on behalf of my sister's situation... She has visitation rights with her son ( she is supposed to have him every Tuesday night and every other weekend).

To make a long story short, due to a bitter divorce and no love lost between husband and wife, the son doesn't want to visit with his mother... He won't get out of the car when she goes to pick him up for visitations...

The father says its not his problem and does nothing to encourage the son to go with his mother... He is 12 by the way... Its been almost a year since her son has visited with her and its breaking her heart... She asks why he doesn't want to come visit and just shrugs his shoulders and says he doesn't know why... so sad...

What to do to get him to visit?? Even the courts say he has to go with the mother, but he will not budge out of the car...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2015, 03:19 AM
    I would like to say he is 12, and why is he even given a choice.

And perhaps she could and should take the father back to court for not obeying the visitation order and perhaps seeing if court ordered counseling may be approved, to see if father is saying negative things, or if the court battle has destroyed the child's trust in the parent.

Even today, the mother normally still gets either custody or joint custody, for a mother not to get custody, there is often a underlying reason? Is there one?
    dancorm Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2015, 08:54 PM
    Well, they had shared custody at first, but she struggled with him during the visits... (he wouldn't listen, shower, dress, eat, etc.) until she got to the point that she would call the father to come and get him...

The problem now is that he will not budge out of the car... No matter what a court document says, he will not physically leave the car to go with her... the court did order him to stay overnight... but he will not budge and she obviously is going to drag him out of the car, kicking and screaming...
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 18, 2015, 04:08 AM
    I feel for your sister, but until someone gets to the bottom of his issues then it's hard to find a solution for them. No telling what he has seen, been through, or going through with this bitter divorce by his parents, and counselling is all I can come up without knowing more.

I venture the father is not cooperating to his fullest either, not unheard of but as was said maybe court ordered counselling is the solution. All of them should be in counselling for that matter.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 18, 2015, 07:43 AM
    The father is required to make the child available for court ordered visitation. He is not required to force the child to go. At 12 the child can refuse to get out of the car and doesn't have to be forced.

So what the mother needs to do is find out WHY the child doesn't want to go. I would enlist a therapist to do some family counseling to see what the issues are. The mother may need to go back to court to get a judge to order the counseling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Restricting visitations with my son when his father is with convicted felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a Texas native who married in 2007, had a son in March of 2008, purchased two new vehicles and a home and became a stay at home mother. The last day of April 2010, four weeks after signing off on the new mortgage my husband moved out. It appears that he's reconnected with his ex-girlfriend,...

I Need to Keep Visitations of my Son Limited [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am a mother of a year old son. His father showed good fathering skills however I've become worried about same. He's in the military and because of this he has only been with our son about 3-4 months of his life. He's been great with child support ($300/month) but his morals and...

Father wanting visitations with his son who was adopted [ 6 Answers ]

I need some advice before we go further in trying to get visitations for my husband. He has a son who he has never met face to face. Knows where he lives and dated the child's mother so he know the family. They were both under 18 when she got pregnant. His name was not on the birth certificate...

View more questions Search