Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WKR2005 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2005, 07:48 AM
    Aquarium water
    I'm setting up a freshwater aquarium & I have "well water" that goes through a water softner... can anyone tell me if this will be okay to use in an aquarium?
    Thanks, "Ken" [email protected]
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2005, 01:18 PM
    Water
    Hi,
    Yes, it is OK.
    But, be sure you get a pH testing kit. You might need to add some liquids to bring the pH up or down, before you put anything in it.
    If you are adding fish, the place where you buy the fish can tell you what the pH should be.
    Also, be sure you let the water filter for awhile, and be sure to have an oxygenator of some type... let it run for a day or two first. These are just small pumps which put oxygen into the water by bubbling.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    dougroch Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2005, 10:54 PM
    In addition to ph I would also purchase a gh and kh test kit that will tell you the softness or hardness of your water... This will help you to further determine which type of fish is best for your aquarium. Some fish do better in soft water, others prefer hard water... on a side note instead of purchasing all of these test kits separately I would get a master test kit which will include all of the above mentioned tests plus ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and several others which you will need in order to be successful in this hobby. If I remember correctly my master test kit from aquarium pharmacueticals cost about $30 where as buying all the kits separately runs around $8-$10 each. Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Aquarium [ 3 Answers ]

I like to start fresh water aquarium business in India what r all the steps to start this show more over I also like to export this fish over seas kindly kind me need help urgently...

Replacing Aquarium Fluorescent Bulb? [ 1 Answers ]

I know that over time the power spectrum of a fluorescent light changes. You start to lose the shorter wavelengths (UV, blue) as the phosphors wear out. I also know that plants need those shorter wavelengths to be happy in an aquarium. So, my question is, how often should I replace the...

View more questions Search