Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kristo Posts: 41, Reputation: 0

Apr 12, 2007, 06:59 AM
    A word problem
    A pool is filled by two pipes. It takes the first pipe 2 hours more and the second pipe 4 hours more to fill it than both pipes at the same time.
    The book says that the first pipe fills the pool in 5 hours and the second one in 7.5 hours, so I think I did something wrong.
    Anyway, here's what I did:

let z be the time it takes both pipes to fill the pool
    let x be the speed of first pipe
    let y be the speed of second pipe

So I get, that

Which solves for x=4,8 and y= 6,8

I need some hints please.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 07:07 AM
    I think you are right.

There should be a difference of 2 hours between the 2 values, from the first piece of data you gave, that is obvious.

This isn't all that rare in books like this, sometimes they edit a problem at the last moment and don't change the answer, that might have happened here.
    kristo Posts: 41, Reputation: 0

Apr 12, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Okie, thanks a lot Capuchin ;)
    az09girl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kristo
    A pool is filled by two pipes. It takes the first pipe 2 hours more and the second pipe 4 hours more to fill it than both pipes at the same time.
    The book says that the first pipe fills the pool in 5 hours and the second one in 7.5 hours, so I think I did something wrong.
    Anyway, here's what I did:

let z be the time it takes both pipes to fill the pool
    let x be the speed of first pipe
    let y be the speed of second pipe

So I get, that

Which solves for x=4,8 and y= 6,8

I need some hints please.
    divide the answer by which you think you had first or add up all the numbers and divide the by each number on at a time and see if you get the right answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A word proble m [ 7 Answers ]

Here it is: Two persons started moving towards the other town at the same time, when they met, one person had walked 6 kilometers more than other person. After meeting they continued walking towards the other town at the same speed, first person arrived at the town 4 hours after meeting, second...

Lotus word to Microsoft word [ 2 Answers ]

My articles are saved in lotus word format. Can I opened it under Microsoft word or " open office" software? If yes, how do I go about it?

MS Word - multiple instances of the same word? [ 1 Answers ]

In MS Word, is there a way to highlight a section of text and get some sort of read on which words appear the most often? Thanks Paul

Adding a word and its meaning to Word Dictionary [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I know how to add a word to the existing system dictionary in MS Office 2002. Now I need to know how to add a meaning to the new word which I added into the dictionary. Can anyone suggest the procedure. Thanks in advance. SAI

View more questions Search