Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wren76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2015, 02:22 PM
    How to tighten an expansion plug to seal toilet floor drain
    I just purchased a 3 inch diameter mechanical test plug (expansion plug) in order to "permanently" seal a toilet drain in my basement. The true diameter of the drain pipe seems to be 3 and 1/8 inches however and so I can't seem to hand tighten the wingnut sufficiently to seal it off tightly; it lifts right out. What am I doing wrong? Should I use a wrench to tighten it?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 12, 2015, 08:44 PM
    You don't have the power in your bare hand to tighten the plug to make a positive seal. Place the plug inside the toilet pipe, tighten by hand as much as you can - than take pliers and keep turning the wing nut until it is tightly against the wall of the pipe.

Hope that explains

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Measuring for expansion drain plug [ 1 Answers ]

Where part of plug do I measure to order the right size?

How to seal an iron toilet drain? [ 8 Answers ]

I need to remove an old basement toilet and permanently seal the floor drain.. probably cast iron.. what do I do (call a real plumber?) Cornelius

How do I seal off a floor drain? [ 8 Answers ]

I need to seal off a floor drain in my basement. My problem is unique: I have two floor drains (one in the furnace room, which will remain functional, and one in a section of basement which ONCE had a golf-cart garage door, which I want to seal.) I have removed the "garage door," and built a fully...

Floor drain seal? [ 13 Answers ]

Hello! I am renting a "studio" space in an old warehouse. The studio we are in has a 6 or 8 inch drain pipe. The room smells AWFUL! Studio's on either side of us do not have the same smell (with no drain). The owner has put "foil wrap" over the drain, and it is doing nothing. Is there any...

Toilet Floor Flange Screws loose and will not tighten [ 1 Answers ]

I had a leaking toilet wax seal. Pulled the toilet off cleaned all old wax. I noticed while cleaning wax off that two of the screws securing the floor flange to the subfloor (vinyl covering over a wood substrate) were loose and will not tighten up. I was told that perhaps the when they roughed it...

View more questions Search