Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 12, 2015, 08:46 AM
    Low water pressure, high pitched squeal
    Recently I've lost water pressure to my kitchen sink. Along with the low pressure there is a high pitched squeal. The faucet has low pressure, but the sprayer seems to be working fine. Pressure to my dishwasher is fine as well.

Any ideas?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 12, 2015, 10:45 AM
    Clean aerator. Aerator is the removable tip on end of spout. Unscrew it, clean it under running water and reinstall

Hope that helps

Milo
    Expert

Nov 12, 2015, 11:02 AM
    Done. No change. Still low pressure and squealing.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2015, 12:54 PM
    Could be one of the shutoff valve(angle stop) under the sink. Older ones will separate the washer and it partially shuts the water down and squeals. Shut it off and reopen. If lucky, it will seat the washer for a while but I'd replace it with a 1/4 turn angle stop. I'd also pull the cartridge, if so equipped, and make sure the ports are not clogged. That is a side effect of a deteriorating angle stop.
    Expert

Nov 12, 2015, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Could be one of the shutoff valve(angle stop) under the sink. Older ones will separate the washer and it partially shuts the water down and squeals. Shut it off and reopen. If lucky, it will seat the washer for a while but I'd replace it with a 1/4 turn angle stop. I'd also pull the cartridge, if so equipped, and make sure the ports are not clogged. That is a side effect of a deteriorating angle stop.
    I'll get the hubby to do that tonight then I'll report back how it works. Thanks guys!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 12, 2015, 08:48 PM
    It can be diverter device inside the body of the faucet. Seems to me it is stuck in one position, allowing full water flow to the hand sprayer but not to the faucet itself. Try this: CLOSE and OPEN sprayer quickly several times in a row with water open to maximum flow. Repeat several times. Change in pressure may (may) make the diverter to slip back to its proper position. If not, you will would have to take the faucet apart and replace the diverter device

Milo
    Expert

Nov 23, 2015, 07:05 PM
    Sprayer opened and closed. Water turned off then on again. No change. Still low pressure with squeal.

Any other ideas?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 23, 2015, 07:18 PM
    Just to clarify, this is not a low pressure situation, its low volume caused by a restriction likely in the diverter.
    Expert

Nov 23, 2015, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Just to clarify, this is not a low pressure situation, its low volume caused by a restriction likely in the diverter.
    Yes, exactly! Is this an easy DIY?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 23, 2015, 08:32 PM
    What is the brand?

Is this a two handle or single handle faucet?
    Is volume and noise the same when all the way to hot as when all the way to cold?
    A difference between hot and cold would indicate the washer in one of the stop valves.
    Is this an easy DIY?
    Yes, it is a DIY task. How easy or difficult depends on the persons general mechanical capabilities.

Generally speaking the handle of a single handle faucet must be removed, then usually there is large nut holding the cartridge in place that is removed. Then the spout can be removed giving you access to the diverter valve.

With two handle remove the spout decorative cap, remove the nut holding spout in place and remove spout.

Suggestion,
    Close cold stop valve under the sink. Open faucet to hot. Do you have low volume and noise?
    Close hot stop valve under the sink. Open faucet to cold. Do you have the low volume and noise?

No difference between hot and cold will definitely eliminate the possibility of a defective stop valve washer. You can then proceed attacking the diverter valve.
    Expert

Nov 23, 2015, 08:55 PM
    It is a single handle. The noise and pressure are the same no matter whether it's hot or cold.

I haven't had had time to try the 2 step approach tonight, but will tomorrow.
    Expert

Nov 23, 2015, 09:17 PM
    Hubby just informed me that when the water valves are shut off, the water still runs as if the valves are wide open.

Nov 23, 2015, 09:25 PM
    That's significant and should be corrected before proceeding. This is a DIY task also (most of the time).

Most of the time these stop valves are "compression fit", easy to change out.

Show picture of the valves under the sink.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2015, 12:41 AM
    As Harold say it is easy to fix by changing the angle valves assembly or changing the washer, before you start working on it please shut the water to the house, see the attachment for info, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 24, 2015, 05:12 AM
    No matter what type shut off valve you have (compression, soldered, or even screwed on) the easiest solution is to simply replace the stem and washer... see image. Home Depot now sells this kit as a "multi turn valve stem repair kit".

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  15.7 KB

Shut off water and remove the packing nut and stem assembly (unscrews). Then, turn water back on for a second to clear line of sediment/debris (cover shutoff with towel) and then install the new stem kit.

My guess is that the washer came off in the shutoff (could be reason for low volume and squeal), so it is likely that when you remove the stem you will find the washer missing...fish it out with a paper clip!

If this fails to resolve all issues, proceed to disassemble and clear the faucet.

Mark

Nov 24, 2015, 05:55 AM
    My guess is that these valves are older than I am, and just like me, they should be done away with.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2015, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    My guess is that these valves are older than I am, and just like me, they should be done away with.
    "just like me, they should be done away with". How do you propose we accomplish this task? (LOL)
    You know, when you get old, the washers don't seal anymore and leaks occur, the main water line leaks at the exit and sometimes needs an extra support, but not for more than 4 hours, the ball valves shrink and don't allow much volume, like an old galvanized pipe.
    Expert

Nov 24, 2015, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    You're a young chap then. The house is only 18 years old.

Nov 24, 2015, 05:05 PM
    How do you propose we accomplish this task? (LOL)
    Take me out to the middle of a big field and shoot me.
    when you get old, the washers don't seal anymore and leaks occur
    Yep, that happens a lot with me.
    the main water line leaks at the exit and sometimes needs an extra support
    I need all the support I can get.
    ball valves shrink and don't allow much volume
    Down to a mere dribble.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2015, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    "just like me, they should be done away with". How do you propose we accomplish this task? (LOL)
    You know, when you get old, the washers don't seal anymore and leaks occur, the main water line leaks at the exit and sometimes needs an extra support, but not for more than 4 hours, the ball valves shrink and don't allow much volume, like an old galvanized pipe.
    Hilarious!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fridgidaire Affinity "front load" dryer: Unbearable high pitched squeal! [ 0 Answers ]

How do you take apart the front load version of the Fridgidaire Affinity dryer to replace the drum bearing or whatever is making that unbearable noise?

High pitched "squeal" [ 4 Answers ]

High pitched "squeal" coming from the pipe where the water enters the house when the water is being run anywhere in the house. Very annoying. The house is about 20 yrs old. Copper plumbing. I have been here about 8 years and it has not always been this way, although I do not recall when it...

High pitched squeal coming from hot water tap in shower [ 1 Answers ]

Just recently a loud, high pitched squeal has started in the hot water tap of my shower. If I play around with the tap it will stop (but most of the time start again). Any idea on what the problem is and how I can fix it?

Low water pressure causing high blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have low or no hot water pressure to the downstairs bathroom. I've replaced the cartridges, valves and hot water heater, still no pressure... help.

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search