Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Nov 11, 2015, 04:40 PM
    2002 Honda Civic / Replacing CV Boot?
    Replacing a CV Boot, Can the Boot be Replaced without dismantling the Brakes and Removing the Rotor to gain access to the Front Axle? Is there a CV Boot Replacement Kit out there that comes apart along one side and is sealed with an industrial glue once installed in place? Cheers Thanks
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 11, 2015, 05:25 PM
    2002 honda civic / replacing cv boot? - Bing video

SELECT MODEL AND ENGINE
    • DX -- L4 - 1.7L 1700cc type D17A1 - MFI GAS SOHC
    • EX -- L4 - 1.7L 1700cc type D17A2 - MFI GAS SOHC
    • GX -- L4 - 1.7L 1700cc type D17A7 - MFI CNG SOHC
    • HX -- L4 - 1.7L 1700cc type D17A6 - MFI GAS SOHC
    • LX -- L4 - 1.7L 1700cc type D17A1 - MFI GAS SOHC
    • SI -- L4 - 2.0L 122ci 1998cc type K20A3 - MFI GAS DOHC
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2015, 05:35 PM
    Trust me on this...

If the boot is split... it HAS gotten crud into it... that crud in now IN the grease and WILL grind away at the CV joint surfaces.

The more has gotten in the worse it will be.

For the price of a re-manufactured axle... I highly suggest just replacing it.

Split boots are almost worthless... and to take it apart, clean it spotless, and repack with the correct Moly grease to replace a one piece one repack with the correct Moly grease will be significant work. A LOT more than swapping the Axle...which will now have a warranty.

I always replace the axle when that has happened. You know Murphy's law... that axle WILL pick the coldest most inconvenient time to fail.

Nov 11, 2015, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Trust me on this...

If the boot is split... it HAS gotten crud into it... that crud in now IN the grease and WILL grind away at the CV joint surfaces.

The more has gotten in the worse it will be.

For the price of a re-manufactured axle... I highly suggest just replacing it.

Split boots are almost worthless... and to take it apart, clean it spotless, and repack with the correct Moly grease to replace a one piece one repack with the correct Moly grease will be significant work. A LOT more than swapping the Axle...which will now have a warranty.

I always replace the axle when that has happened. You know Murphy's law... that axle WILL pick the coldest most inconvenient time to fail.

Was Thinking that myself, I will be passing this on to my Son.. lol..
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2015, 06:28 PM
    I could swap an axle on my Civic in 20 minutes. But then I''ve had two engines, 4 totally different type transmissions (requiring three different unique sets of axles between them since the original.

And the last set TWICE because I busted a CV joint hitting second gear at 9,200 RPM... (Lot of fun when nothing breaks, and yes that IS the redline on my engine and it does pull hard right to the limiter and not a typo)

Nov 11, 2015, 06:37 PM
    I could swap an axle on my Civic in 20 minutes. But then I''ve had two engines, 4 totally different type transmissions (requiring three different unique sets of axles between them since the original.

And the last set TWICE because I busted a CV joint hitting second gear at 9,200 RPM... (Lot of fun when nothing breaks, and yes that IS the redline on my engine and it does pull hard right to the limiter and not a typo)
    The Car was just bought in July , for a 2002 in Mint Condition.. The Slight crack in the Boot was all that was found.. lol..
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2015, 07:01 PM
    Crack that's almost split... or an actual split your finger fits through.

I'll bet he's not as mechanically inclined as me... and I'd rather not mess with them. Did it ONCE.. never again.

Its messy, and tedious to do a new boot right that will last ( a one piece). And that works best if the crack never becomes an actual split.

If you look at the axle...replacing the boot without removing ONE of the CV joints....would be like giving Birth to a Adult.

With the same problems involved. The small hole in the boot just isn't big enough. (the small ends are in the middle with the big ends on the outside.)

Nov 11, 2015, 07:17 PM
    I'll bet he's not as mechanically inclined as me... and I'd rather not mess with them. Did it ONCE.. never again.
    If you look at the axle...replacing the boot without removing ONE of the CV joints....would be like giving Birth to a Adult.

Oh he's more Mechanically Inclined than I.. lol.. With Winter coming on.. lol.. My Nature is Not wanting Surprises.. lol..
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2015, 07:40 PM
    The one time I did it... I had to STILL replace the axle several months later when it started clicking. And it looked fine when I cleaned the old grease off before repacking it.

One of those Your mileage may vary situations. But I HATE working outside in the snow because the car is broke... or worse because it was something I could have done in nicer weather that wouldn't have resulted in the situation.

My time is worth a lot... and I value my time highly... but I still do most work myself because I trust few mechanics to do a better job than me most times. And the shops charge so awful much too. And thats money I would NOT have to save towards retirement or anything else. Father taught me...the more you can do yourself....the more money you can save FOR yourself. Because odds are you would be paying them MORE than you earn yourself for their time.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2015, 08:46 AM
    You can buy a new Cardone Select axle for $50, which is easy to install. Save your money on the split kits you referenced--they are a waste of money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2002 honda civic si [ 0 Answers ]

I have a honda civic si 2.o when engine running normal without stepping on gas pendal runs fine but when steping on gas making nose coming from the value and when steping on gas my rpm doesn't go pass 3000

Honda civic 2002 [ 0 Answers ]

Over heating problem

Honda civic ex 2002 is not energetic [ 1 Answers ]

Ihave a honda civic ex 2002 I feel the car is not energetic when I start driving after stopping at the traffic light I need to know what is the problem

Honda civic 2002 does not start [ 1 Answers ]

My honda civic 2002, run out of gas, I PUT A GALLON OF GAS AND NOW THE CAR DOES NOT START. WHAT CAN I D0

View more questions Search