Ask
    mulleroni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2015, 12:55 PM
    Need to know what insurance company a policy number fits
    Auto insurance policy number186954361
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 11, 2015, 12:57 PM
    Could be any carrier, as it's appears to be a random series of numbers.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2015, 01:31 PM
    WHy would you need to know? Trying to scam someone? Commit identity fraud? If you have the policy number you should also know what company it is issued by, not to mention WHO has the policy.

I can't think of any valid reason why you would have that one number but not most or all of the other information.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2015, 01:31 PM
    You are assuming that all the insurance companies in the world have gotten together and agreed on a policy identification system that would allow for a policy number to be identified as to carrier. That is an invalid assumption. Insurance companies have their own policy numbering conventions that are not unique to them so a number could belong to any carrier.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 11, 2015, 11:17 PM
    There is no way to trace this, merely with the numbers given.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 13, 2015, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    WHy would you need to know? Trying to scam someone? Commit identity fraud?
    Come on Smoothy - stop being so rude. Our job here is to help people if we can, not insult them if we can't. We've had this question asked and answered on this site any time before. Often it comes up because a person gets in a fender bender, gets the other driver's name and insurance policy number, but neglects to note the name of the other driver's insurance company. It's an oversight that can be easily made in the confusion of the moments after an accident. I don't know if that's what happened in this case, and neither do you, but to start out by accusing the OP of trying to commit a felony is inappropriate.

To the OP - as others have stated there is no way we can determine the other person's carrier from the policy number alone. Assuming that this is indeed about an accident you were in, if the police investigated the accident they would have noted the insurance carrier in their records, so you might try contacting them. You should also contact your own insurance carrier and ask them to help (in fact you should have already contacted them to let them know of the accident). You can call the other person and ask, though I realize you may be hesitant to do so. Your last resort is to work through your carrier to sue the other driver for the damages you sustained - then he will have to get his insurance company involved to protect himself.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2015, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Come on Smoothy - stop being so rude. Our job here is to help people if we can, not insult them if we can't. We've had this question asked and answered on this site any time before. Often it comes up because a person gets in a fender bender, gets the other driver's name and insurance policy number, but neglects to note the name of the other driver's insurance company. It's an oversight that can be easily made in the confusion of the moments after an accident. I don't know if that's what happened in this case, and neither do you, but to start out by accusing the OP of trying commit a felony is inappropriate.

To the OP - as others have stated there is no way we can determine the other person's carrier from the policy number alone. Assuming that this is indeed about an accident you were in, if the police investigated the accident they would have noted the insurance carrier in their records, so you might try contacting them. You should also contact your own insurance carrier and ask them to help (in fact you should have already contacted them to let them know of the accident). You can call the other person and ask, though I realize you may be hesitant to do so. Your last resort is to work through your carrier to sue the other driver for the damages you sustained - then he will have to get his insurance company involved to protect himself.
    What exactly is rude about that. Its perfectly true. If they got someone's insurance number for a valid reason... they would know the company and who its issued to, or even just who had the policy. What other reason would some have to need to track down a random insurance policy number they have no other information on?

If they had the persons name... they could call that person, or they would have a license plate number . Nobody gets JUST an policy number and nothing else.

You've been here long enough to see DOZENS of people ask the same thing... all they know is a policy number.

The insurance company even if you knew it... (in the USA anyway) legally could not give you any information without any other details because of identity theft is a very real thing. Filng a claim will require more than just the policy number. Trying to get MORE information when all you have is one piece of the puzzle via various means is called pretexting or social engineering. Anyone that works for a business where they have access to private customer information (at least in the USA) has to undergo annual training because of it. Its actually illegal do disclose a lot of information without proof the individual requesting it actually IS the account holder or at least has a right to such information. The penalties for it are significant.

Its also why you are required to present a photo ID when you try to use your medical insurance at a doctors office. Too many people DO try to use someone else's card, some times without their knowledge. I have several friends, my brother and one co-worker that has been the victim of identity theft. You also can't walk up to a bank...ask them if the account is here and how much is in it with only a number....they can't tell you.

And I would hope that if someone was ever trying to inquire about any of my policies or accounts with nothing more than a number. That they would do the same.

When you have access to such information (at least in the USA) you are legally required to assume the worst intention of those requesting it until proper information and credentials are presented.

I stand by what I said until the OP explains a situation why they need to know it, and how they came about getting that number. At which time I would review my stand on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance policy number? [ 3 Answers ]

I was backed into and he provided his insurance card but I didn't get the name of company just the policy number can you help me policy number is>Removed<

A company insurance salesman sold a life insurance policy to a client for a premium o [ 1 Answers ]

A company insurance salesman sold a life insurance policy to a client for a premium of $25,000. The agency billed the client for the policy and is entitled to a commission of 20%. How do I do an adjusting journal entry for this question? Will it have two parts to it?

Looking for insurance policy no 9929780 insurance company he have [ 2 Answers ]

Prairie land/federated insurance campany ineed to get this insurance campany

Policy number insurance [ 2 Answers ]

A lorry caused accident and in the result good worth of property damaged. Nearby persons got photo of the accident in which lorry number visiable. But before the police come lorry absonds. How to know the lorry owner name, insturance particulars etc. in the govt. transport records address the owner...

View more questions Search