Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PDonnelly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2015, 12:07 PM
    What do you think of this short story beginning?
    Rachel Pearson, aged thirteen, was walking to school. She had long dark hair and wore a white blouse and navy skirt. As she turned a corner she saw someone walking in front of her. At first she didn't recognise him, but then she recognised the bag he was carrying. It must be that boy in her class, Peter Bumby. He always carried his school bag like a brief case rather than over his shoulder. He wore his white shirt as usual, plus his navy school tie with yellow stripes, as she saw when he turned round after hearing her approach. Today however he wore a brown checked flat cap, such as she had seen old men wear, concealing his neatly brushed blond hair at the front. Also, instead of his navy school trousers, he had on a smart pair of grey flannels, fastened with a brown belt. These too made him look older. His black shoes were well polished.
    Good morning Miss Pearson,' Peter said rather awkwardly.
    . Rachel smiled. Good morning Mr. Bumby,' she replied. He blushed. 'You look very smart today,' she continued. 'I like your hat.'
    . Thank you,' Peter said, blushing.
    'Mr Bumby,' Rachel asked, 'do you usually wear grey trousers to school?'
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 11, 2015, 12:31 PM
    You can write, spell, punctuate, and even get a story going.
    I am going to critique this, however: for a short story, especially the opening scene, there's about twice as much description of clothing as it warrants. You need those important first few sentences for the entire scene and flavor. You also have Peter blushing twice a few seconds apart. Keep an eye on your verbs and adjectives and try for variety.
    If you by any chance are 13, you are doing just fine though! If you decided to write it in the first person (of a 13 year old), all this attention to looks and clothing fits. It's what teens do.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2015, 05:42 PM
    Needs to flow a bit better. 5 short sentences open the paragraph. Keep working on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Short story [ 4 Answers ]

Need a short story describing worst nightmare using superior inferior anterior distal proximal superficial oral cavity dorsal medial abdominal cavity deep lateral skeletal system cardiovascular system

Beginning AC research for 24 year old 1 and 1/2 story home with gas hot water heat [ 1 Answers ]

We need some sort of A/C but have numerous logistical problems. First we have 3 very small upper bedrooms(1 and 1/2 story house)ranging from 10x11, 11x12, and 12x14 all clustered around a small upstairs bathroom. To make matters worse is that we have an open foyer where all the heat rises and gets...

Short Story [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, so here it goes... I'm the assigned prayer leader for our math class tomorrow... and my teacher asked me to create a short story and a reflection about it... before I recite my own prayer.. I already have a prayer which is "Dear Lord, Bless us today. Open our minds to help us learn and grow....

How's this short story? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I just wrote a short story and I was wondering what everybody thought of it. It's the first one I have ever written so try not to bash it just to bash it. Other than that criticize it as much as you like.:) By the way I got the inspiration for it while reading a collection of short story's by...

Short story [ 3 Answers ]

I have to bring a short story (preferably no longer than 15 pages) into class, talk a bit about the author and then lead a discussion on it. I'm not a big on reading short stories so I don't have any books on them or anything. Does anyone know a short story that's easy to analyse and has some...

View more questions Search