Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gspriszner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2015, 11:45 AM
    An Unusual Greeting
    Good day,

The new HR guy walked in, introduced himself, and then asked me, "Do you work out?"

Appropriate?

Guy
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 10, 2015, 12:02 PM
    He may have been trying to find a common interest, something to talk about with you. Are you especially fit? He could have asked if you have a vegetable garden (after seeing dirt under your nails) or if you have dogs (after noticing animal hairs on your pants).
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2015, 01:27 PM
    Totally normal and appropriate. Its called being friendly and breaking the ice as the new guy.

Get upset about that... and will find you are going to have problems with many other issues down the road.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 10, 2015, 01:48 PM
    I would say it depends on a) the genders involved, it appears you are both male, but that's not 100% clear. And b) whether you are fit. If you are both male and both fit, it was probably meant as a compliment and ice breaker.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2015, 07:51 PM
    I once had a new guy at work, after being introduced to me the first time, ask, "Are you married". I thought that was odd for one guy to ask another guy right off the bat.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 10, 2015, 08:00 PM
    Doesn't sound like a real big deal the way you asked your question.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 10, 2015, 10:21 PM
    Sounds like a normal question, perhaps he wanted to sell a membership in a gym, or someone to workout with.

Why, would you consider this strange?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 11, 2015, 03:53 AM
    You asked this under Labor Law. Sounds like you wonder if he was making sexual advances. No, not unless there were other nuances. Straightforward question, and you are free to say Why do you ask, or What's it to you. I probably would have said Why, do you get $100 if you get me to join your gym.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is best way to say greeting [ 2 Answers ]

Assalam you Alaikum,I want to ask 2 questions, First is,which is the best way of saying salam,in greetings,while texting, Second one is a little complicated,I want to ask that on your personal email id,I don't want to ask that one,in front of everyone,

Greeting in Latin [ 1 Answers ]

Hello from Upstate NY, USA... Looking for a Latin translation for "Welcome to the Land"

View more questions Search