Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Nov 10, 2015, 08:00 AM
    Estimated Taxes
    I have already sent in my 4th quarter ET on my Required Min Dist. There is a possibility that the sale of my second home will settle in Dec 2015 as it will be capital gains, do I need to send in additional est. taxes or can I wait and take care of it when I file taxes for 2015?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 10, 2015, 08:43 AM
    If you file by 31 January 2016, then a second estimated tax payment for the IRS is NOT needed.

However, assuming you DO itemize, you WILL want to make another 4th quarter estimated tax payment to the STATE, since such a payment is normally tax deductible if, made before 31 December 2015.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 10, 2015, 08:46 AM
    Estimated taxes for income made in the 4th quarter are due to be paid by January 15, 2016. So yes - you should send in a 2nd 4th quarter estimated tax payment by then, and not wait till your tax return filing in April 2016.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 10, 2015, 09:12 AM
    After reading ebaines post, I see that my answer may have been less than clear.

To clarify, the requirement to file a second 4th quarter estimated tax is NOT needed if your annual 2014 tax return is filed by 31 January 2016 and all taxes are paid in full at that time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estimated Taxes? [ 8 Answers ]

@ATE If, you are retired and your only income is your retirement MRD and SS, and you have not taken money from your Investments until the end of the year are you required to make payments in Mar. June or Sept etc.(dates not accurate just as an example)? Or is it okay to make it in the last quarter...

How to avoid estimated taxes without penalty [ 3 Answers ]

I will have several changes to my tax situation when filing next year including: Status changing from Single to Married Filing Jointly Will be making individual contributions to an HSA Expect to buy a house to take advantage of $8,000 home buyer credit Worked first 6 months of year on 1099...

NJ bothering me for interest on Estimated Taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Since we are retired, we did not have much income throughout the year 2007. However. In Dec 2007, I did a few Roth conversions which added substantially to our income. I promptly paid 100% of our 2006 Federal and NJ taxes to Federal and NJ as Estimated Taxes for 2007 before January 15, 2008. ...

Estimated taxes for F-1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an F-1 student, but for 2007, it will be my sixth year here, so I will be filing as a resident for tax purposes next year. I know this is thinking far ahead, but I am concerned about estimated taxes. I am working under OPT as contractor for 2 companies, and will probably earn a total...

Estimated Taxes for 2007 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, How to pay estimated taxes (federal, social security tax, Medicare tax and State tax) for year 2007. I see estimated tax calculation details on IRS site and is it includes only federal tax only or social security and Medicare taxes also. How to pay estimated tax for state. Thanks in...

View more questions Search