Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccleix Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2015, 03:49 PM
    220v single phase motor run on two legs of three phase.
    Can a standard 220v motor that is run on a common 110/220v supply be run using two legs of a three phase system? I have seen it done and the motor runs but eventually fails. Is the failure caused by the phase difference ie: 120 deg vs. 180 deg voltages or different voltages in the three phase systems.
    Thanks for your reply.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 6, 2015, 12:29 PM
    What is the voltage of the 3-phase? The voltage across any two legs would be greater than the voltage of each leg (though still a 60 Hz sine wave).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a 240 v motor be run using two legs of a three phase supply? [ 1 Answers ]

Can a 240 v motor be run using two phases of a three phase supply?

Can a single phase 440v motor be run from a 3 phase 415v generator? [ 1 Answers ]

The motor uses the same 4 wire plug as a 3 phase system utilizing 2 x 220v actives to get the 440v.

Wiring 220V Single Phase 30 AMP car lift motor [ 5 Answers ]

Recently I perchased 9000 pounds 2 post car lift, and only after car lift has arrived I've found out that the requirements for the motor are 220VAC Single Phase 30 AMP 60 Hz. Can somebody please explain how to use this motor safely with the standard power outlet. Thank you.

Is it possible to run 3 phase equipment (Conveyor Oven) on single phase service? [ 0 Answers ]

I do not want to use a rotary converter. The equipment (Lincoln Impinger Oven 1921-M) says it needs 3 Phase and also has this info: 1921 9 Kw 208 VAC 25 Amps 3 60 3 Wires + G UL, CUL, UL Class.

Is it true that single phase motor takes more current than a 3 phase motor, if so why [ 2 Answers ]

A single phase air conditioner takes 8 amps, while the same with 3 phase takes only 3 amps, the billing is finally for the amps consumed right, so why not only 3 phase.

View more questions Search