Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tealikedays Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2015, 09:19 AM
    Moving to Brazil
    Hello. I plan on moving to Brazil after high school graduation of 2017. I would be moving in with my friend and his family who live there. I don't plan on leaving the US with out at least 10,000 dollars.. However, my question is how would I become a permanent resident just as an 18 year old moving there and living with a friend? (I plan on working somewhere there and I am currently learning Portuguese) What all would I have to have with me including documentation? Who do I go to and when should I go to these people, before or after arrival in Brazil.. I've looked online and I can't find anything for someone who just plainly wants to move there and just live with someone else. As for luggage, I don't have anything besides clothes and a few valuables. I'm traveling lightly. I don't understand visas or how they work.. But I know enough to know that I want a permanent visa for Brazil. I really want to do this for myself and I really need help with this.. Thanks in advance.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2015, 06:50 PM
    Check with the Brazilian Consulate where you live. A passport is proof of identity and allows you to go back to your home country. A Visa is permission to enter and stay in the country where you are going. In some cases you need to apply for a visa, Russia for example. Upon arrival, Ireland grants you a visa for 180 days for a US citizen, Guatemala 30 days. Brazil is 90 days. Before "moving", make sure you can obtain a permanent visa. From what I see on the Brazilian Consulate link, they only allow specific visa's and just "moving" there is not one.

http://cgwashington.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/Main.xml
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2015, 06:58 PM
    I agree with ma0641. Some countries ( actually quite a few) Simply won't let you stay beyond a tourist visit. They MAY permit you to.. but there is never any guarantee they will.

You call their Embassy...fill out the forms and wait. Many require them to be filled out and will only approve them if you are NOT actually in the country when they are made and processed.

Meaning one rarely get to decide I will move here....and it happens without a lot of trouble , time and work. Many times it is never approved. Prepare for that possibility.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2015, 03:47 AM
    Your plan has some errors,

You will have to travel there with a tourist visa, Unless you are a professional or have about 50,000 to invest, you will have trouble getting a work visa.

You can not legally work in Brazil without a work visa. For that, you have to find a company that will apply for your permit with the government. So I doubt a normal 18 out of high school will qualify for most any of those.

If you were to go to University, you could get a student visa.
    With a tourist visa you will have to enter and leave Brazil every 90 days.

Nov 5, 2015, 09:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Your plan has some errors,

You will have to travel there with a tourist visa, Unless you are a professional or have about 50,000 to invest, you will have trouble getting a work visa.

You can not legally work in Brazil without a work visa. For that, you have to find a company that will apply for your permit with the government. So I doubt a normal 18 out of high school will qualify for most any of those.

If you were to go to University, you could get a student visa.
    With a tourist visa you will have to enter and leave Brazil every 90 days.
    How long will I be able to stay with a student visa? How to visas work, I've never traveled before and I'm new to these terms. My friends mom owns a business and will allow me to work with her.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2015, 10:17 PM
    #1 you won't be working ANYWHERE on a student VISA, its illegal everywhere, you HAVE to have a work VISA... and you will be required to be enrolled as a full time student during the entire period to maintain a student VISA. And most countries take that VERY seriously.
    Expert

Nov 6, 2015, 06:45 AM
    If you work, and someone reports it, your friends mom will have a very large fine, and you will have to pay a fine and will be deported (not allowed to return) And you don't want to be in jail there.

You can only work on a work visa, if your friends mom has a authorized business, and will pay the government fees and if she gets a permit to hire a foreigner, you may qualify for a work visa.

On a student visa, you stay in the country for as long as you go to school, if you go to university there, you stay for as long as you go to university.

You get a Passport from your government, but the visa comes from the Brazil government. You normally get a tourist visa for one year but must leave Brazil every 90 days. (going anywhere across the border_

Nov 6, 2015, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    If you work, and someone reports it, your friends mom will have a very large fine, and you will have to pay a fine and will be deported (not allowed to return) And you don't want to be in jail there.

You can only work on a work visa, if your friends mom has a authorized business, and will pay the government fees and if she gets a permit to hire a foreigner, you may qualify for a work visa.

On a student visa, you stay in the country for as long as you go to school, if you go to university there, you stay for as long as you go to university.

You get a Passport from your government, but the visa comes from the Brazil government. You normally get a tourist visa for one year but must leave Brazil every 90 days. (going anywhere across the border_
    Can you get more than one visa?
    Expert

Nov 6, 2015, 09:07 PM
    No, only one visa at a time, the previous one is cancelled when the new one is issued

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have you been a student in Brazil? Do you know a student from Brazil? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking at the option of learning in brazil. I'm especially concerned about language and wanted to know if students in universities in brazil have to know (and learn) English?

What kind of langues are used in Brazil [ 2 Answers ]

Help,help,help! I want to know what kind of languages are used in Brazil?who is so kind to help me to tranlate below two words into English: Empresa Cidade Thanks so much in advance!

What are the 3 largest cities in brazil [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 large cities in brazil which one is it

View more questions Search