Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jack5225 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2015, 06:49 PM
    I am 62 and have a 401K. Can I retire and receive a pension?
    I am not sure what retirement means for a 62 year old with a vested 401K. Will I qualify for a monthly pension or will I only be allowed to withdraw funds up to what I have in the account?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2015, 06:51 PM
    401k isn't a pension per se... when it is depleted.. that's all there is and there isn't any more. There are restrictions and you will pay tax on withdrawls.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 1, 2015, 08:29 PM
    Agree, a 401 K is merely like "money in the bank" and how much you can get will depend on how much is in the account. If you have been putting large sums in it, for years, you may be OK, if you only have 10 or 20 thousand in it, well that is not much.

You talk to the holder of the 401K, other investment companies, about an annuity, and you move that money over, where you start receiving monthly payments.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Nov 1, 2015, 08:54 PM
    Unfortunately, the government imposes a 10 percent penalty on any withdrawals before age 59 1/2. Some early distributions qualify for a waiver of that penalty -- for instance hardships, higher education expenses and buying a first home.

You can start, as you are 62, but you will have to pay ordinary taxes on what ever you take out. If you wait till you are 70 1/2 you must start taking the money out. Be sure to check with someone who is tax savvy so you do not make any mistakes.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 1, 2015, 11:02 PM
    As noted a 401(k) is not a pension. But that doesn't mean you can't set it up to do monthly payments. You need to talk to the plan administrator about that.

Before you decide what do to with your 401(k), you need to look at all your sources of retirement income, (SS, other pensions other assets) and compare that to how much you think you need to live.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 2, 2015, 06:46 AM
    One option to consider is after you retire to roll the 401K(k) into an annuity, which will guarantee that you will receive a certain income stream for life (like a pension). This, along with social security payments, can bring some certainty to retirement planning. But the monthly amount that the annuity will pay out is probably not as large as you'd like, especially with interest rates today being so low. There are other strategies that can generally do a better job of providing income from your 401(k) in retirement - I'd be happy to describe what they are if you are interested.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2015, 04:27 PM
    You qualify for SS. Not sure if you have a pension, HR is best dept. to contact. Do a trustee to Trustee rollover of the 401K to an IRA. Then you can set the IRA up in a number of investments that would give you income only or growth and income. I retired at 64 and have never regretted it-almost 11 yrs. Ago.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 2, 2015, 05:53 PM
    Retiring now will get you a much lower monthly SS amount than retiring later. I think your 'full amount' year is age 66. Depends on your birthday.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my 401k be seized when I retire? If I still owe child support when I retire? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently found out that a girl I had been with in high school had my child after she had moved to another city. That was 20 years ago, and I am paying for the back support and interest. The court forgave the late penalties since I didn't know about the child. I need to know if, when I retire,...

Will I still receive VA widows pension if I remarry after 60 [ 1 Answers ]

I am receiving a widows pension from my husband killed active duty in1970, and am I still eligible to receive it if I remarry after 60?

Chapter 5: Suppose that you plan to retire 35 years from now and want to receive a $5 [ 2 Answers ]

Suppose that you plan to retire 35 years from now and want to receive a $5,000 retirement income per month after you retire. The return on your investment is 6% per year. How much do you have to save per month to meet your retirement goal until you retire? Assume that all your deposits and incomes...

View more questions Search