Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Michellerenee Posts: 102, Reputation: 7

Apr 12, 2007, 03:04 AM
    Too much uric acid in body
    Could the buildup of uric acid in my Aunt's body be causing her undo arthritic pain? I do not trust her Medicare dr. to keep a check of her condition, and she may not tell her dr. the things he should know. She has trouble urinating, and I'm thinking that maybe, I should be aware of the problem. She has had urinary tract infections in the past, so I was wondering if it just never went away. We have just thought that it was a normal geriatric condition, but now I'm not so sure. She will be having a urinalysis as soon as possible, but about the uric acid, I was told it took 24 hours for a collection of urine to test.
    I will be going in to check on her past history on her next dr. appt.
    Home health care could come today also if I call them.
    Thanks in advance, M.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 12, 2007, 03:29 AM
    If your aunt wears 'diapers' (for lack of a better name), and I am assuming she does, then I can understand why she has urinary tract infections frequently; proper feminine hygiene when wearing these is an absolute must. Even if she doesn't the proper cleansing method of the peri area should be followed, as well As a Personal Support Worker for the elderly I understand the situation.

As far as Uric Acid is concerned, I have never run into this connected with arthritis but not saying it isn't a factor.

Causes of high uric acid levels in blood (hyperuricemia) include:

* Obesity
    * Excessive alcohol use
    * Diets high in purines
    * Certain medications, including low-dose aspirin, diuretics and some high blood pressure drugs
    * Certain diseases that have a high cell turnover rate, such as leukemia, lymphoma or psoriasis
    Michellerenee Posts: 102, Reputation: 7

Apr 12, 2007, 03:47 AM
    Wow, quick response, thanks,
    She does not wear Depends, and is able to wash herself in that area, which she has always done daily. She doeshave psoriasis on her feet, which we try to keep under control with creams and sometimes a prescribed salve(name unknown right now, as it is 7 am and it is next door).
    I am really concerned with her inability to pee, and strong smell. So far, no blood in urine.
    I have read about "gouty arthritis" only on the internet, she has had gout in her toes before, would a routine urinalysis tell me everything?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 12, 2007, 03:50 AM
    Tickle is right in most all aspects. High uric acid levels are found in the blood, not necessarily the urine. High levels indicate an arthritic condition called gout which usually affects the great toe. Now if they are trying to check uric acid levels in the urine then probably a 24 hour urine catch would have to be done, but I have not yet learned that this is how uric acid is detected.

Now as far as the doctor goes. Michelle, you will have to make sure your Aunt has signed a release for you to review her medical records. Otherwise they are private between your Aunt and her doctor. No one can view the records without a proper release signed by the patient.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 12, 2007, 03:51 AM
    No, dear a routine urinalysis will not tell you everything. It will tell you a lot, but to get the whole picture you will need some blood tests too.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 12, 2007, 02:20 PM
    I would suggest a getting a Power of Attorney which she will have to sign as well, if you are going to look after her.

Arthritis is there for the long term, it can only be managed with antiinflammatories. For pain. Ask her doctor what she can use.

As far as arthritis is concerned, I have severe degenerative athritis in my hands and am on celebrex for pain, so far it is okay, so I know all about that aspect. As for gout, had that in my big toe a year ago and is quite painful but it just has to go away itself, nothing much can be done. It swells, is painful and then subsides in two or three weeks.

I would be concerned about her inability to urinate as well; that signifies a bladder infection, so are you absolutely sure she is washing her peri area properly and not getting any fecal matter anywhere else because over time it doesn't take much for bacteria to take hold ? As well, two separate clothes should be used for each area and washed right away. If you don't see her cleaning herself you can't be certain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acid did not go down [ 5 Answers ]

I was told by the guy at the hardware store that if plunging and using a snake don't work, try sulfuric acid. I bought a bottle and followed the instructions, but it didn't seem to work. The instructions say to flush five times when the drain is open, but I don't think it is and I'm afraid of...

Acid Hydrolysis [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know everything about ACID HYDROLYSIS Would you please refer me a LINK which describe this method completely? I want to know how is it and what happened for proteins,polysaccharides and... in this process Actually I want to know what happen in below process and why we saw NH3 in it "...

Folic Acid [ 6 Answers ]

Hello to you, and thank you for taking the time to review and answer my question – This is really an amazing site!! I just found out that I’m pregnant; and have been taking 800mcg of Folic Acid for about two weeks now. I read somewhere that it helps with the development of the fetus (brain) –...

Acid rain [ 1 Answers ]

A biologist is testing the effects of acid rain on plant growth. She has 500 mL of a 12% acid solution, dut wants to use a 7% solution. To the nearest mL, how much water should she add to obtain the desired concentration?:eek:

Folic acid [ 7 Answers ]

Is it safe for me to take folic acid and prenatal vitamins at the same time even though I hadn't had my period for 7 months? It been a week I have been taking it but I don't even know if I suppose to be experincing some symptons or not.. or is it safe?

View more questions Search