Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Oct 28, 2015, 10:09 AM
    Job Searching Etiquette
    Hello-been a long time since I've been on here but need expert advice-or any advice at all!

I was recently laid off from my last position. During my job search thereafter, I have been working mainly through job recruiting/consulting companies (I've updated my resume and posted it on various career sites, and they are the only companies that have contacted me directly throughout my search).

I was desperate for a new job/career as I have a family and home to maintain solely on my own.

With that being said, I was finally offered a position that pays a little less than what I was making at my last position before being laid off. During that time, I accepted the position because I wasn't getting additional recognition or opportunities anywhere else.

During this transition, literally just today as a matter of fact, I was offered a position from a more reputable company with higher pay-that I had interviewed a few weeks prior back.

How do I respectfully decline the other position offered through a separate consultant company that I had accepted? I have never been so excited and felt so bad at the same time! Please let me know if additional details are needed and thank you for your time!
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2015, 10:57 AM
    Don't beat yourself up for this. Be glad you are marketable in that more than one company wants your services. The losing company hasn't invested much of anything in you yet and you haven't invested any time in them.

Weigh your options carefully. The grass isn't always greener with more money.

Be honest. Tell them you have another offer that better meets your professional goals. Handle it carefully and with dignity so the fallout from the original company might be lessened.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 28, 2015, 11:14 AM
    I agree; tell the truth in 1 or 2 concise sentences. Employers change their minds too. And even if you went in and filled out paperwork, employees are not bound by contract.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Searching for a new job [ 11 Answers ]

Hi to all. I'm looking for a new job for that I want to prepare for an interview so I'm searching "Interview questions & answers" online. Can anybody give me details or links regarding interview questions?

Job searching [ 1 Answers ]

It feels like I'm useless, I have applied for some jobs and known of them have responded back. I need to have a job for college and all I do is babysit. Like I seriously need and want a job. What jobs are easy to get?

Accepting a job etiquette? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello all! I am currently unemployed and applying for (what feels like millions of) jobs. To let you know I am currently applying for retail work, I have lots of experience in that! I am hoping to hear back from one potential employer on Friday... However, I have another job interview...

View more questions Search