Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sean999 Posts: 117, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2015, 06:15 AM
    Irritable bowel syndrome problem
    Hi.

I am a irritable bowel syndrome sufferer. I do business with my friend at a small office room(hire room from apartment). This room only have one restroom. We get 8 people also inlcude me. So, if someone who under the restroom, my tummy become get pain and I also want to go to restroom. I am afraid that I can't control in time. This is really psycho(or may be immature). Please tell me some useful ways to eliminate this mind situation. Thank you.
    logicfi Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2015, 06:50 AM
    How many times you have to empty your bowel in a day not in the office?
    If only once, perhaps you can go to the toilet before going to work. Nothing in the bowel, nothing to worry the rest of the day.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Oct 28, 2015, 07:13 AM
    A lot of people I know with IBS has certain triggers for the more distasteful expressions of it. Some people if they eat fatty foods, or dairy, or certain veggies, then their IBS will act up. Have you done much investigation on your particular flavour of IBS? Do you know what triggers you? If you do, avoid those foods. Maybe you can get something from your doctor to help. Maybe a probiotic. Other then that I would let your office know that you have it, even though it is embarrassing. I would also scope out other options if the bathroom is taken.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 28, 2015, 07:37 AM
    Coffee is my trigger. I'm limited to 2 cups of it per day. There are medications that tend to work. Discuss them with your doctor.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 28, 2015, 11:22 AM
    I don't have IBS, but I do have to get to a toilet at least every 45 minutes, day and night, to pee (nerves hitting one side of bladder). I have a bedside type commode which I can use in emergency, if guests are here, or if I go on a trip, I can put it in my van, or if there is a power outage and the toilet can't flush. Maybe ask about use of a room or closet where you could put one? (I know, that's far fetched.)

Oct 29, 2015, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I don't have IBS, but I do have to get to a toilet at least every 45 minutes, day and night, to pee (nerves hitting one side of bladder). I have a bedside type commode which I can use in emergency, if guests are here, or if I go on a trip, I can put it in my van, or if there is a power outage and the toilet can't flush. Maybe ask about use of a room or closet where you could put one? (I know, that's far fetched.)

I think that your meaning of to go to toilet every 45 minutes is just for pee. AM I right? I got your ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by logicfi View Post
    How many times you have to empty your bowel in a day not in the office?
    If only once, perhaps you can go to the toilet before going to work. Nothing in the bowel, nothing to worry the rest of the day.

Today, I found that if I go to toilet three times before go to outside, it is work. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    A lot of people I know with IBS has certain triggers for the more distasteful expressions of it. Some people if they eat fatty foods, or dairy, or certain veggies, then their IBS will act up. Have you done much investigation on your particular flavour of IBS? Do you know what triggers you? If you do, avoid those foods. Maybe you can get something from your doctor to help. Maybe a probiotic. Other then that I would let your office know that you have it, even though it is embarrassing. I would also scope out other options if the bathroom is taken.

OK. I got it. Coffee, some cold drinks trigger me.Thank you for your ideas

Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Coffee is my trigger. I'm limited to 2 cups of it per day. There are medications that tend to work. Discuss them with your doctor.

Me too for coffee. Most of the doctors from my country don't recognize IBS as serious physical problems. But when I found doctor who really care about IBS, I will go to discuss well. Thank you
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 29, 2015, 04:51 PM
    My advice is Immodium. Google and see if you can buy it where you are. It works for me

Oct 29, 2015, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    My advice is Immodium. Google and see if you can buy it where you are. It works for me

Yes, I took this for several times. But sometimes I afraid that about side effect.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 29, 2015, 08:23 PM
    Imodium is a double edged sword for those of us who suffer from IBS as we swing from diarrhea to constipation without knowing which one comes next.

What is important is to closely follow your diet, find your triggers and avoid them.

Lately I've been following the FODMAP diet with some success.

The Low FODMAP Diet Approach: Dietary Triggers for IBS Symptoms - aboutIBS.org

Oct 30, 2015, 04:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Imodium is a double edged sword for those of us who suffer from IBS as we swing from diarrhea to constipation without knowing which one comes next.

What is important is to closely follow your diet, find your triggers and avoid them.

Lately I've been following the FODMAP diet with some success.

The Low FODMAP Diet Approach: Dietary Triggers for IBS Symptoms - aboutIBS.org

Thank you. I am appreciated your trying.
    themisfitkitten Posts: 114, Reputation: 22

Jan 3, 2016, 01:12 PM
    This question is a bit old now, but first, I hope you are feeling better and have been having some continued relief from your symptoms. :)

Just to add my thoughts, I've dealt with IBS for a long time, too. Stress plays a big factor for me, but I definitely agree with the comments about diet. I'm not sure I had specific trigger foods but I know I used to eat a lot of "easy" foods, whether it was fast food drive-thru or highly processed stuff from the grocery store. My husband and I started gardening a few years ago for fresh produce and we buy our meat from a local store that doesn't use any of the dyes and preservatives that many chain stores do. We make most of our meals from scratch and avoid buying stuff in boxes, freezer meals, etc. for the most part. We started doing these things not specifically to deal with my IBS, but because we wanted to make healthier choices about what we ingest. I've found that over time with the more natural diet, I've hardly had any stomach/gastro problems like I used to and I feel like that has a lot to do with it. J_9's FODMAP link interests me, and I'm going to check it out to help keep this from recurring as badly as it used to (so, thanks, J_9 for potentially helping me as well).

I have also had less stress for the most part (although it has skyrocketed recently, but I'm still doing mostly well), so if you have any stress in your life it may help to try to control that to any degree you can. I've heard back and forth that stress causes flare-ups, stress doesn't cause flare-ups... and I'm not even sure what the most recent consensus is, but I know my IBS has always been the worst while I've been stressed out (it started in high school, imagine that, LOL).

If you haven't already spoken to your doctor about it, there ARE medications that can be prescribed to help combat the symptoms. I take one myself but only as needed and I've found I rarely need it at all lately. It could be that my form of IBS is just much milder than other people's, but I'm glad to have it for the occasional flare-ups.

~tmk
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 3, 2016, 03:38 PM
    A link to vitamin D deficiency hasn't been established, but there are more and more studies based on what many feel is a connection.
    (There seems to be almost an epidemic of lack of it anyway.)

Jan 16, 2016, 03:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    A link to vitamin D deficiency hasn't been established, but there are more and more studies based on what many feel is a connection.
    (There seems to be almost an epidemic of lack of it anyway.)
    Thanks for your message

Quote Originally Posted by themisfitkitten View Post
    This question is a bit old now, but first, I hope you are feeling better and have been having some continued relief from your symptoms. :)

Just to add my thoughts, I've dealt with IBS for a long time, too. Stress plays a big factor for me, but I definitely agree with the comments about diet. I'm not sure I had specific trigger foods but I know I used to eat a lot of "easy" foods, whether it was fast food drive-thru or highly processed stuff from the grocery store. My husband and I started gardening a few years ago for fresh produce and we buy our meat from a local store that doesn't use any of the dyes and preservatives that many chain stores do. We make most of our meals from scratch and avoid buying stuff in boxes, freezer meals, etc. for the most part. We started doing these things not specifically to deal with my IBS, but because we wanted to make healthier choices about what we ingest. I've found that over time with the more natural diet, I've hardly had any stomach/gastro problems like I used to and I feel like that has a lot to do with it. J_9's FODMAP link interests me, and I'm going to check it out to help keep this from recurring as badly as it used to (so, thanks, J_9 for potentially helping me as well).

I have also had less stress for the most part (although it has skyrocketed recently, but I'm still doing mostly well), so if you have any stress in your life it may help to try to control that to any degree you can. I've heard back and forth that stress causes flare-ups, stress doesn't cause flare-ups... and I'm not even sure what the most recent consensus is, but I know my IBS has always been the worst while I've been stressed out (it started in high school, imagine that, LOL).

If you haven't already spoken to your doctor about it, there ARE medications that can be prescribed to help combat the symptoms. I take one myself but only as needed and I've found I rarely need it at all lately. It could be that my form of IBS is just much milder than other people's, but I'm glad to have it for the occasional flare-ups.

~tmk

Thanks for your message

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've got irritable bowel syndrome. [ 9 Answers ]

I've got irritable bowel syndrome. Because of being tour guide, I am so uncomfortable because of this disease. I want exact treatment. But most of the doctors recognise this disease as a kind of disorder not disease. Some of the people says that meditation can cure IBS. I like coffee, cold drinks...

My daughter is almost 37 weeks pregnant. She suffers from irritable bowel syndrome an [ 0 Answers ]

My daughter is almost 37 weeks pregnant. She suffers from Irritable Bowel Syndrome. She has the abdominal cramps, bloating, etc. now that she is getting closer to her due date she wants to know how she will be able to tell what's the IBS and what is labor. Her history is; this is her 4th pregnancy....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome ? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been experiencing bloating practically ever since I can remember. Late afternoon-night is when you'll be asking yourself if I'm pregnant. And this happens almost every day. I have been trying to find a pattern in what I eat, but the only thing I found out that definitely causes bloating and...

Returning Symptoms of IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) [ 2 Answers ]

Two years ago I was diagnosed with IBS and my symptoms were really bad up until beginning of this year such as stomach pains, diarrhea, constipation, and mainly vomiting a lot. After having it treated and things had seemed to be back to normal for several months, I noticed I have been feeling...

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) [ 6 Answers ]

I was recently diagnosed with IBS and was wandering want a good treatment plan might be or any good home remedies. Any thoughts?

View more questions Search