Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    __sarah__ Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2005, 02:39 PM
    An Introduction to Programming using: Microsoft visual basic.NET [HELP]
    I need help in making a program using visual basic.. u can download it here:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/expres...c/default.aspx

Question:

An employee should receive pay equal to time and a half for every hour worked over 40 hours.

a) Create a payroll application that prompts the user for the number of hours worked and the hourly rate of pay and then calculates the gross weekly wages (before taxes) when pay is clicked:

the interface should look like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ollprogram.bmp

b) Modify the payroll application so that there is an 18% deduction from gross pay, unles the employee is exempt. If an employee is exmpt, "NO TAXES DEDUCTED" should be displayed in a message box and then the wages displayed. The application interface should look similar to the following for an employee that is not exempt:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...r/untitled.bmp

thanks ^_^
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2005, 09:43 PM
    Please don't ask or expect us to do your homework for you. You were given the assignment for you to do.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2005, 05:23 AM
    Vb
    Hi, Sarah,
    Any expert would be happy to help you with one of the aspects of your question; but to answer all of this would take a LOT of time. Most don't have that kind of time available for just one answer!
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Mar 6, 2005, 09:16 AM
    Sarah,

The two responses you have received are very mild. I would have expected some massive flames by now. ;)

Please do not post your homework assignment and expect someone to do it for you. If you get stuck and have a specific question, that is a dfiferent story, but you have to show that you have at least given the thing a try...

Mar 6, 2005, 11:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by psi42
    The two responses you have received are very mild. I would have expected some massive flames by now. ;)

PSI,
    Well I like to give the person the benefit of the doubt. I also prefer to be polite, at least initially. Maybe they don't quite understand how these boards work.

I know that I, personally, have a sense of ethics. I understand that it would be unethical to do someone's homework assignment for them. I've found that most experts on most of these Q&A sites feel the same. Occasionally, you do run across experts who care more for building up their rankings then for ethical behavior.
    __sarah__ Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2005, 05:01 PM
    Sorry about that:o... I dun expect you to do it for me, I just didn't really understand what the question was asking me.. just wanted some ideas on how to start it.. I dun really get how they got $495 as their gross wages.. and I also I didn't understand what it meant by this: "An employee should receive pay equal to time and a half for every hour worked over 40 hours"... my teacher said something about multiplying by 1/hours worked, but I'm not sure.. any ideas?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Mar 7, 2005, 05:52 PM
    "dun" "wut" and "u" do not compute with me.

This is vbulletin, not realtime communication. You have plenty of time to PUNCTUATE. :)

Mar 7, 2005, 07:50 PM
    Sarah,

Well don't you think you should be asking your instructor for clarification? And you don't understand the concept of overtime?? I can appreciate that you have probably been a student and never worked a day in your life, but this is not a hard concept. Ask your father or mother to explain overtime to you.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2005, 02:55 AM
    I'll get you started but like everyone said - this is what your teacher is for.

First, looking at the screen shot, I have no idea where they got the
    $495 from either. Here's some help on part A to get you started.

Well as you can see from the picture you need two boxes, one for the hours work, one for the hourly pay. When you hit a button, you need something that multiplys these together and gives you the result somewhere on the screen. When a user works over 40 hours, you will need something that takes how many hours they worked over the 40 and times that by 1 & 1/2 times their pay.

E.g.

Hours worked: 45
    Hourly rate: $10

So first you would get their normal pay (the first 40 hours)...

(hours worked * hourly rate)
    = (40 * 10)

Then you would need to calculate hours worked in a week over 40 to charge at time and a half...

((hours worked - hours in full day) * (hourly rate * 1.5))
    = ((45 - 40) * (10 * 1.5))
    = (5 * 15)

Then just add these two together to get your answer.

(40 * 10) + (5 * 15) = $475

The only thing you are going to have to remember is that you are somehow going to have to test to see if they worked more than 40 or not to see what calculations will have to be made.

Hope that gets you started,
    Lee

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Visual basic [ 1 Answers ]

Where do I go on my computer to find out what version of visual basic I have? Thanks

Visual Basic 6.0 [ 1 Answers ]

What is the cost of Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition?

Visual basic [ 1 Answers ]

How can I disable maximise button of a form but minimise and close button should be enable?

Visual Basic [ 1 Answers ]

I want to add icon in the button which I have used in my visual basic program. How can I do that. Please help.

View more questions Search