Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debbsluckyno_2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 10:21 PM
    New budgie pet bird
    Hi. I am going to get a pet budgie in a couple of days and I was wondering how I can tame him... I have searched the internet many times and still no answer that I need that goes with taming or breeding a budgie, help me:eek:
    persainpapaya Posts: 58, Reputation: 21

May 7, 2007, 10:31 PM
    I have not had a budgie, but I have had parrots, and many cockatiels, and one method that I used with them, (because I bought each of them untamed, and as adults), is to use two long sticks... open the small door to the cage and just get the budgie used to stepping up onto the stick, and then back to his/her perch. Keep doing this, and (with clipped wings), begin to bring the bird outside of the cage, and using the two sticks have him/her climb up onto them like a moving step ladder. Each day, keep moving your hands closer and closer to the bird while doing the step ladder exercise. Stay calm and be assertive and when you feel it's time, insert a finger instead of one of the sticks, but continue the stepping exercise to keep his attention on stepping, rather than biting. He/she will become relaxed with your hand outside of the cage. One note though... some birds never do let their guard down when inside of their cage. They sometimes just need to step up onto that stick, and once taken outside of the cage, they are fine. Remember never to put the stick behind their feet as they can only step foreword. Place the stick just above the "knees" and put light pressure upwards. VERY important that when you try using your finger instead of one of the sticks, that you have first... worked with the bird with the two sticks often enough for he/she to be comfortable with only about 3" of stick before your hand begins (holding the stick), and second... when you put your finger in place of the stick, do it quickly, and confidently, and even if bitten, never jump back or move your hand away. Show him/her that the behavior of biting does nothing to stop you. I hope I am writing this clearly enough. Enjoy your new budgie. Congrats!
    FLAMEonfire Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

May 21, 2007, 12:34 PM
    You posted this question some time ago, but I was wondering if you found what you needed. I raise birds...have done so for many years and if you want to find answering for a certain type of bird there are exellent sites on the web. Here's one just for budgies, check it out: http://www.budgerigar-world.com/ ... I hope you find it helpful.:D
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 22, 2007, 06:55 PM
    I have also raised birds and I have seen that budgies are harder to tame because they are small and super fast flyers. They actually don't make the best pet! I think a cockatiel is the best pet that you can get as far a bird because they are easy to tame, if they aren't already and they are so lovable and can learn to chirp tunes and some talk. The are small also but are much better than having a parakeet/budgie.. Cockatiels are expensive but if you look under the classifieds online you may can find some for $20-30, I sell mine for $20 so that is a steal.
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

May 25, 2007, 02:58 AM
    I am not biased with my oppinions of birds as pets as I have owned, bred and reared many

The best method is with 2 sticks as above and even to take the bird to a unfamiliar room'

Male budgies ar ebetter and easier to tame than females and they are easier to get talking than the females (and their bite isn't as hard ;) )

It will take, time, love and patience but it is worth it..

Use the stick methd and let us know how you get on and if you need any help ask and we will help you
    Katie
    Maybaby100 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 02:52 PM
    I raise budgies myself. However the male budgie is not to be kept alone or else there is a possibility it can die of psychological depression. Also it may take a while for them to get tamed to you, but after 2 or 3 weeks they'll loosen up. By talking to them, and rubbing them you can easily tame them. Maybe 15 minutes or more each day will do good. Soon they'll be standing on your hand and eating from it also... It's all a matter of time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Budgie nesting box [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have an aviary and I have some questions. 1/ does the nesting box have to be hang up, or can it just be put on top of anything? 2/ how long till my birds get used to the new avairy? Thanks and best regards, Wagdi

Budgie cage gone bad [ 5 Answers ]

I am looking for advice on how to clean a budgie cage that hasn't been cleaned in a long long while. The budgie is still in it! It is for a friend and I haven't cleaned out a cage before so need the real basics! Thanks

Bird [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 birds (budgies) and they have been really healthy. However, over the past few weeks my female bird has been wheezing and sneezing quite a bit. It's almost like she is having a tough time breathing. Oddly enough, she is still eating normally, hasn't lost weight and still has quite a bit...

Tweety Bird [ 6 Answers ]

I feel sort of weird asking this but my friends and I are debating if Tweety Bird is a boy or a girl... does anyone know? Lol. Thanks... :D

View more questions Search