Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Oct 23, 2015, 10:17 PM
    K-1 LLP Tax Form
    If your stock is a Limited Partnership and it is in your IRA can you disregard the K-1's that the companies send at tax time?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 24, 2015, 07:01 AM
    You cannot disregard them; they tell you how your stock is performing.

However, the income or the loss on the K-1 is NOT reported anywhere on your tax return. Hopefully, the fact that the stock is held under your IRA is clearly stated on the Schedule K-1, lest the IRS expect the income to be reported.

Oct 24, 2015, 09:58 AM
    There is a lot of confusing information that is required on a Taxable K-1 on the Tax Return but not the gain or loss per say, is that correct? I think the IRS makes the
    Company jump through a lot of hoops on the K-1 just for meanness.
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 24, 2015, 03:59 PM
    Perhaps gain is the wrong word. The proper word is profit or income.

It is not confusing to the tax professional who prepares the Schedule K-1. If you data enter the K-1 onto your tax software, 90% of the time the software puts the information in the correct place.

Oct 24, 2015, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Perhaps gain is the wrong word. The proper word is profit or income.

It is not confusing to the tax professional who prepares the Schedule K-1. If you data enter the K-1 onto your tax software, 90% of the time the software puts the information in the correct place.
    I stand corrected.

Thanks ATE I was doing my taxes with a so called expert and they screwed it up so I got a penalty and the preparer tried to blame me for not giving them the information but all they had to do was look on the second page and it was there. Have been doing them for the last 2 years. Have been using Turbo Tax, will have to see if their program will enter the Schedule K-1 data. I have about 7 LLC's in my
    IRA for the first time and 1 in a taxable account.
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 24, 2015, 05:50 PM
    Glad to help!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 26, 2015, 05:39 AM
    Just an FYI regarding K-1'a and TurboTax - it can be a bit daunting. Sometimes you have to enter a single K-1 as two separate K-1's into the program, if income comes from two different types of businesses. And sometimes I have found that the program wants a greater level of detail than is included either on the K-1 or the accompanying notes. But it seems to me that for the partnerships in your IRA you wouldn't have to enter anything, assuming that the limited partner is properly identified as the IRA trustee, not you directly. Of course while you don't report income from the partnership. you also can't take advantage of any losses or other write-offs like you can in a taxable account.

Oct 26, 2015, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Just an FYI regarding K-1'a and TurboTax - it can be a bit daunting. Sometimes you have to enter a single K-1 as two separate K-1's into the program, if income comes from two different types of businesses. And sometimes I have found that he program wants a greater level of detail than is included either on the K-1 or the accompanying notes. But it seems to me that for the partnerships in your IRA you wouldn't have to enter anything, assuming that the limited partner is properly identified as the IRA trustee, not you directly. Of course while you don't report income from the partnership. you also can't take advantage of any losses or other write-offs like you can in a taxable account.
    Thanks for the added input. I stand by what I said about the IRS trying to make the LLP's job of reporting very lengthy and cumbersome . Hate those damn things and they usually arrive later in the year and sometimes an amended one comes even later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Schedule D, Wash sales on Form 8949, and line 13 of Tax Form 1040 [ 3 Answers ]

My schedule D says I have a net capital loss. On Form 8949 Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets, in column (f) under adjustment to gain/loss some W's appear, representing wash sales. If wash sales can't be claimed as a loss do I subtract these W's from my total capital loss as indicated...

I had filed W-7 & tax return form, I got my ITIN, when should expect my tax returns? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I had my filed W-7 (for ITIN ) & my husbands tax return form, I got my ITIN , so in how many days should I expect my tax returns?

How can I get a tax refund without my W-2 form? How can I get my W-2 form my previ [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get a tax refund without my w-2?

Form 1116, foreign tax credit: Tax paid vs tax accrued, exchange rates and dates [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm applying for foreign tax credit on taxes I've paid / accrued on interest earned in savings accounts and certificate deposits in New Zealand. For cds, the bank statements don't give precise dates for when taxes were withheld. And so I have several questions relating to form 1116, Part II: ...

Can you file more than one w2 form on one nys tax form or do you need additional forms? [ 1 Answers ]

We live in nys and my friend has had 3 different jobs throughout the year. Does he file all w2's on one form or have a form for each?

View more questions Search