Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2015, 06:35 PM
    Cracked Flange
    How would you repair or replace this flange?

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 319
Size:  719.6 KB
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 20, 2015, 07:00 PM
    They sell various repair flanges and rings. See enclosed photos. All will work. They sell them in 3" and 4" sizes ( diameter of existing ewer pipe ). Make sure you buy the right size. I personally prefer the ones with metal ring over the plastic ones. Pick the one you think will be the easiest for you to install.

Hope that helps

Milo
    Attached Images

TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2015, 07:55 PM
    Would you bother to remove the old brass flange or would you just mount the new one on top and anchor it to the floor? Because of the strange shape (12 point) of the drain, will the type of flanges you showed really seal and work properly?

The floor underneath is concrete. What specific anchor screws would you recommend?
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 21, 2015, 03:45 AM
    I would not bother with removing the old ring. For ease of installation, I would use the ring as pictured in photo #1 or #4. Remove old bolts from existing ring. Insert and attach new brass bolts to the old ring. Place new ring over the old one, sliding it over the bolts. Drill holes into concrete through the holes in new ring. Insert plastic anchors into drilled holes and secure new ring with brass screws. Also, put washer over brass bolts and tighten it with nut, "squeezing" new ring against the old one.

Hope that helps

Milo
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Oct 21, 2015, 07:54 AM
    Good luck with your project. Let us know how you did !

Milo
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 21, 2015, 04:09 PM
    That looks like a lead flange with repair ring to me. I would remove and replace. If those nuts will unscrew, (they should, look like stainless), just remove nuts and bolt new one in place.

The ring does not seal any thing, just holds the toilet down. The wax ring is what does the sealing.

However Milo is the pro.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When using liquid glass metallic seal-up cracked head gasket or cracked head [ 1 Answers ]

Do I have to remove spark plugs that have antifreeze around them for the product to work or do I leave the spark plugs in

Replacing/reparing a cracked toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

While setting in a new toilet the old toilet flange cracked creating a problem with securing the new toilet bolts. How do I remedy this problem? How do I repair the old flange or replace the cracked flange with a new one?

Repairing cracked plastic toilet flange. [ 1 Answers ]

I recently retiled my bathroom and also had to replace my toilet. In doing so, I noticed that the plastic toilet flange under the toilet was cracked where the bolt is inserted to connect to the toilet. I'm not sure how to repair this, and am looking for any advice you have to offer. I've...

Cast iron toilet flange the bolt holes will not hold how do we fix it and the flange [ 1 Answers ]

We have a cast iron flange and the bolt holes are not useable can we cut off the top and add a new plastic flange

View more questions Search