Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garboozle Posts: 139, Reputation: -5

Oct 20, 2015, 02:34 PM
    What age to move out of parent's house?.
    I'm wondering what the typical age is folks move out of their parents house.. I'm 26 and due to a really crummy family life and mother who causes all sorts of problems I HAVE to move out.. Not because they're making me but because I can't take it anymore.. As badly as I want to live independently the thought of it scares the hell out of me.. I have only 10 grand saved up, no credit, no schooling other than HS, and a job (full time thankfully) that only pays 12.70$.. So I'm in rough shape and I'm really scared here.. All advice is welcomed.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Oct 20, 2015, 03:21 PM
    Most people move out in their late teens or early 20s. I was out of my house at 23, my wife earlier. It is up to you and your parents.

Given that you've got stable income, and savings, what are your long term plans? How do you go to making more then you are? What you need to do is make a plan. If you can do that, then you're good.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2015, 04:13 PM
    I moved a couple weeks after I graduated college. I had to because the place that hired me in College was a 4 hour drive away. Was it rough? Heck yeah. No money...low starting wages...and a mountain of student loans to pay back. But you learn quickly to live within your means, work harder and look for opportunities to fine better jobs. Expect to have to have roomates for a number of years. Having your own place is a pipe dream until you make decent wages.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 20, 2015, 04:50 PM
    You move when you are ready. There is no best age.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 20, 2015, 04:55 PM
    Find a roommate if you can't do it on your own. You've got a job and some savings, so find a place you can afford.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 21, 2015, 12:08 AM
    Depends on where you are at. Here in China they may move out at 30 or at such time as they get married. (unless they are the boy and may move the girl into parents house)

In the US, most move out about 23 or so. Really they move out when they go away to college and may move back for a short period, but not long.

I would assume you have no real bills at this time, and own a car ?
    You consider finding a roommate and share a apartment with.

Or you may consider looking at some new education to give you options for a better job.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 21, 2015, 04:00 PM
    I moved out when I got married at 24. Until then I saved money so that my husband and I could afford to by a house instead of rent when we moved in together. That was the only reason I stayed at home.

At 26 you should be ready to move out, especially if your home life with your parents is as bad as you say.

Look for a place that you can rent and have room mates, or even look into buying a place and getting room mates to help pay the mortgage, but make sure if you do that that you can afford the mortgage without help, just in case things don't work out with the room mates.

Make a list of your monthly expenses, car, insurance, health care, food, rent/mortgage, gas, electric, heat, water, garbage disposal, cell phone. It all adds up. What can you afford to spend on a place to live? That's where you should start.

Good luck.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 24, 2015, 09:54 AM
    I think that you are ready.

The objections you put forward, are all easily overcome. You could get a room mate, you could work two jobs, you could rent a room in a home instead of flat out renting an apartment.

But, maybe, as bad as your home life is, as you say, maybe the fact that you've managed to save so much money, and could likely save so much more, indicates that you have a pretty easy life to start with such a cushion.

Have you considered going to college/university? Maybe taking night courses, or enrolling in a certificate program which is shorter, and might be a stepping stone to further studies? I'm thinking of personal support workers, and similar occupations.

I think that you are holding yourself back, from some pretty obvious choices you could easily make to be on your own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can someone age of 15 move out of their mom's home and into their aunt's house? [ 8 Answers ]

Okay, so I have a really close friend who is always being treated badly by her mother. Her mother smacks her for no reason, leaves her alone at home with her 5 year old sister, has beat her to the floor, and other things. My friend has been treated badly by that side of the family and always wanted...

What age can I move out of my parents house [ 36 Answers ]

I'm 13 years old and I live with my mom and step-dad I am very unhappy living with them. My dad is dead, my grandparents will not take me in and I have no other family. I get bullied a lot and my mom blamed it on me, I'm bisexual and if I tell my mom she will prouble kick me out anyway. I have a...

At the age of 16 can I move out into my aunts house without my parents consent? [ 6 Answers ]

I do not get along with my right now - my aunt has offered to let me live with her next school year. Is my Mother aloud telling me I'm not aloud?

View more questions Search