Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Oct 20, 2015, 12:16 PM
    Clothes Dryer Vent Pipe..
    The Outlet for our Vent Pipe to the Clothes Dryer is under the Deck.. Read on a DIY Site of a Reputable Building Contractor that Exhaust (Steam / Moisture) coming from the Vent Pipe can eventually do damage to the underside of the Deck.. The Deck Floor Boards are adiquately spaced to allow rain water to escape.. The Deck Floor itself is raised approximately 4ft. Off the ground with plenty of access underneath.. And the Cap to the Vent Pipe is at the 2ft level.. My Thoughts are the (Steam / Moisture) can sufficiently Disipate without forming on the underside of our Deck.. Correct? Opinions Appreciated, Cheers Thanks
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 20, 2015, 02:36 PM
    I wouldn't want it under my deck because of more than moisture. Warmth attracts mice; warmth + moisture attracts all kinds of bugs. But as long as there is a screen in the flap, and as long as you inspect it once in a while, it might be fine.
    I have rotted PT with flower pots... it's not totally immune, nor are cedar and redwood.
    The one big concern I would have is a higher likelihood of termites, which quickly move into the framing of the house and aren't visible.

Oct 20, 2015, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I wouldn't want it under my deck because of more than moisture. Warmth attracts mice; warmth + moisture attracts all kinds of bugs. But as long as there is a screen in the flap, and as long as you inspect it once in a while, it might be fine.
    I have rotted PT with flower pots... it's not totally immune, nor are cedar and redwood.
    The one big concern I would have is a higher likelihood of termites, which quickly move into the framing of the house and aren't visible.

Oh it's easy access to the flap , give it a regular visual and clean the flap Spring & Fall ( a thin layer of lint collects).. Rural Setting I'm armed & ready for Mickey Mouse... Have a few strategic points to nab the mice, always happens 1st couple weeks into the Fall , till the word gets out that the Peanut Butter is Spiked & the Springs are super sensitive on the Traps.. lol..
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2015, 06:17 PM
    During a normal drying cycle, you probably get rid of maybe 2 # of water, 2 pints. You certainly get more water than that during a rain. I would not worry about it. I have customers with vents under decks, into garages, into the crawl space(don't recommend that one). If you are really concerned, extend the pipe so it vents outside the deck.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 20, 2015, 06:18 PM
    I would not worry too much but you did not say if this was a gas dryer or electric. Electric would be fine but gas vents poisonous exhaust fumes.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 21, 2015, 04:41 PM
    Venting a dryer under an open deck wouldn't give me any heart burn. As Brian said, into a garage or crawl space would be a no-no.

Oct 22, 2015, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Venting a dryer under an open deck wouldn't give me any heart burn. As Brian said, into a garage or crawl space would be a no-no.

Thanks for the Comebacks.. As I said in my original Post, I was basing my Query on a Reputable Toronto Area Contractor ( Use your imagination, he stands like Mr. Clean) Said that Dryer Venting Exiting underneath a Deck would eventually lead to weakening the Deck Boards.. Is All, Just Saying.. lol..

Oct 22, 2015, 07:44 PM
    It likely will not wreck the deck but it may not be code either
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Oct 22, 2015, 08:11 PM
    More than likely the vent is directed down towards the ground and with the vent being four feet below the deck, I would not worry about it. Also how often do you use the vent once a week maybe.

Oct 22, 2015, 08:25 PM
    Code is code, it is worth checking to see if the building code allows this type of venting. It is not a matter of opinion, it's something you must do by law.

Oct 23, 2015, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Code is code, it is worth checking to see if the building code allows this type of venting. It is not a matter of opinion, it's something you must do by law.
    The code is mainly concerned with Fire, Ducting inside the house like Attic, Crawl Space etc. Also no screen at the end of the vent as it causes build up of lint. Surely there could be cases where it is unsafe the way it is installed.

Oct 23, 2015, 07:34 AM
    This is not correct,mode is not just limited to fire. Code covers all aspects of safe building. You can not avoid following code, someday you will sell and the house must be to code.

Oct 24, 2015, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post

Absolutely.. Building Codes However Stringent they can be are "Black & White".. My 3 Cents, I can see Exhausting into a Constrained Area , But with plenty of open areas and easy access from 3 points... Hence sufficient points for the Dryer Exhaust to Dissipate... Is My Theory is All..

Oct 24, 2015, 11:40 AM
    From what has been said, I doubt that the OP has any problem with Code. If there is then the code is BS. Just my take.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loud rock tumbler noise coming from clothes dryer vent [ 2 Answers ]

What would make a clothes dryer sound like a rock tumbler? The loud noise comes from the vent and is audible outside, but it is not audible inside. There are no visible obstructions in the vent. What could be causing this noise? How can this problem be fixed?

Kenmore HD 70 Series dryer P/N110.96576200, how long can vent pipe be? [ 1 Answers ]

Kenmore HD 70 Series dryer P/N110.96576200, how long can vent pipe be?

Water in clothes dryer vent [ 1 Answers ]

What causes water to accumulate in the clothes dryer vent leading outside?

Dryer not drying clothes, checked hoses/connections, vent is not outside house [ 6 Answers ]

Dryer not drying, checked hoses/connections, disconnected hose from dryer & wall & vacuumed it to see if excess lint had clogged it up, my home has no vent outside, are air ducts or something else clogged? New house, dryer is 1 yr. old... h e l p !

Gas line & dryer vent pipe - how close is too close? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm rerouting the gas dryer vent piping so that it will inside the adjoining stud wall. At the top of the wall the vertical exhaust pipe will be within an inch or two of the horizontal running copper gas supply line. Question - is there a minimum distance that the metal dryer exhaust pipe must...

View more questions Search