Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hippiefeet Posts: 60, Reputation: 4

Oct 19, 2015, 07:09 PM
    1997 F350 XLT 7.3 diesel alternator
    Hello. The dash battery light is on and flickers while driving. NO trouble starting and runs FINE. Auto parts store says alternator is bad. I want to find the specific problem... regulator, brushes... What is the best way to test the regulator (mounted to back of alternator) to see if its bad? And how do I access the brushes? Would new brushes designed for Ambulance system be compatible? I'm having trouble finding basic brushes. Any help is much appreciated.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2015, 07:19 PM
    It's likely the brushes are worn down too far. However, the voltage regulator/brush assembly comes as a unit. Since it's an externally mounted assembly, it should be easy to remove and replace on the vehicle. Simply disconnect the negative battery cable and use a Torx T-20 driver to remove 4 mounting screws. Use a small drill bit to hold the retracted brushes in position during installation. Once installed, simply withdrawal the bit. Remove any ridges on the shaft (rings) with abrasive cloth.

Try salvage, if you cannot find a new voltage regulator/brush assembly at your local auto parts store.

The best way to test the regulator is to check the regulated battery voltage, which should be 14 to 15 volts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problems coolant leaking with 2004 ford f250 xlt power stroke diesel 6.0 [ 4 Answers ]

Problems with coolant leaking with 2004 ford f250 xlt power stroke diesel 6.0. My truck does not overheat but I'm losing coolant very rapidly after turning it off, the dealer claims that the EGR controller is bad and the head gaskets are blown I find that hard to believe since the motor only has...

1997 honda civic alternator [ 1 Answers ]

I have disconnected the alternator in my 1997 honda civic 1.6 4 door, now what's the easiest way to remove the alternator?

2004 f350 alternator problems [ 1 Answers ]

i have a 2004 f350 4x4 6.0l diesel. The alternator has been changed 3 times in less than a 4 month period. I installed a new pigtailed harness for alternator along with a motorcraft reman alternator from ford last month also replaced one battery. It is back again with same problem. The alternator...

Ford f350 2000 turbo diesel,is mixing diesel in to the cooling sistem [ 1 Answers ]

Ford f350 2000 turbo diesel,is mixing diesel in to the cooling sistem(with antifreeze) nothing with the oil.the engines is working properly.I remuved from the radiator one gallon of diesel.what kind of problem my truck has.

Gas mileage 1997 ford f350 7.3 diesel [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for mpg and if can put anything on eng to increase mpg

View more questions Search