Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 20, 2015, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thatkidscat View Post
    You know what? I'm going to have to apologize for nothing. Like I do in my own life every day. So sorry everyone. I would like no more comments if that is acceptable because I cannot take questions down. I just became upset when you brought my mother into the question. My sister might think it is okay to let our family problems leak out to other people but I don't think so. I am mad she put that up there and I am just very upset.
    We've responded only to what you and your sister have told us. And yes, I was once 14 and crazy about horses, so that I hung around them and read books about them as often as I could. I told my parents I wanted my own horse or a piano. I got the piano.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 20, 2015, 12:04 PM
    Most places require you to be at least 16 to work, and that's mainly retail. Even then, that's a few places, most will expect you to be at least 18. So you can't get a traditional job at your age.

There are ways to make money at your age, but not the amount you're looking to make. Babysitting, mowing lawns, shoveling snow, dog walking, paper route, things like that. You'd be doing a lot of work for very little pay.

Sadly the only answer I can give you about earning big money fast at your age, is that you can't.

Good luck.
    thatkidscat Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2015, 12:35 PM
    I didn't mention that because THAT WAS NOT MY QUESTION. Why are you acting like I'm lying about everything? The mile thing was an estimate. And his wife isn't a full on horse veterinarian she is a veterinarian but not specifically a horse one. I didn't know if my uncle would let me because he already has a lot to do and a lot of horses to take care of. I didn't even consider that an option until he said he would house him. Yes he would have to call in another vet. But I'm sure my aunt has been around horses long enough to at least get a sense of what to do. I would call in a vet when needed. It's just really starting to tick me off that my 'how do I make money fast' question turned into 'Tell me all my problems'

Thank you so very much for at least giving me ideas because that is all I was asking to people to do but they just kept flooding my answers with problems.

I do not muck out stables. I never said that. I said that that was a good idea and I will do that

Sorry if I'm being snappy, but my sister sending in that question really ticked me off and I'm just upset that so many people read it and now I learn you can't even take questions down.

I am going to muck stables.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 20, 2015, 12:38 PM
    I guess now you know why sharing accounts is a very bad idea.

Oct 20, 2015, 12:59 PM
    Thanks for the ideas

OK. Hey I'm really sorry. I am. I don't mean to be mean. These last few days have just been really stressful and I guess it is easier to take it out on people I will never met. Really sorry )-:
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 20, 2015, 01:27 PM
    'Fast money' is not 'steady income'. Plus, child labor laws may affect what you can do to make money especially during school months when you are supposed to be learning. Some places are very strict not only about age but door-to-door asking for work. So check the laws for your area.

You would think giving ideas would be easy, but any list we give is subject to laws and regulations of your area.

You may think it is unfair for us to bring up the needs of the horse, however, many times young people (and some adults) come here talking about getting a pet or some type of animal they have no idea what they are getting into. They get caught up the idea and ignore or overlook the reality of owning something that depends on them.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2015, 01:43 PM
    Really now? 13.. and a horse is a HUGE commitment both in time and money. A horse lives well over 20 years... an ADULT wanting a horse is far different than a barely teen who's going to charge dramatically in the coming years. A horse can't be left alone, if its not bridled and ridden regularly it WILL revert to a wild state and violently react the next time an attempt is made to do either. This will happen in just a month or two. They will bite and kick. They have a really wicked bite... thank goodness for a wallet and baggy jeans because its happened to me... and the Mare (And Appaloosa) that did it took the pocket, my wallet and most of the right butt cheek of my jeans that day.. Got enough of my butt it left a bruise that took several weeks to stop hurting. And it could have been a lot worse.

I also feel badly for pets and other animals that are neglected because someone jot tired with them when the novelty wore off.

My nephew at 13 insisted and threw a fit until be got a baby bunny for a pet... 6 months later my Sister-in-law was stuck with feeding it and cleaning its cage etc... until it finally died recently one day. It happens quite frequently... the longer the life of the animal the worse it actually is.

Once you are an adult, have yourself situated in your own place and have a full time job... then by all means if you still want one then and find you can afford it after everything else (few will be able), get it But I think you might feel differently by then... most kids want a horse or pony... very few want one as an adult ( can count myself among them).

I've known many cases when it was dogs, cats or other animals... kid moves out... can't take it with them and mom and dad get stuck taking care of the animals until they die of old age or put down because of illness. Have personally known too many cases like that.

Dreams are good... dreams are important while growing up. But not all dreams are meant to become true. And dreams are good as a goal to work towards in the future even if you never actually achieve them. I have dreams, and believe everyone should have dreams. Just that some dreams are best left as dreams for any number of reasons. Most dreams when you do achieve them... don't live up to what you imagined them to be. But that's no reason to not continue to dream.

Oct 20, 2015, 06:59 PM
    I'm really sorry. I am. I have had a really bad couple of days and it is ​easier to take it out on people I will never meet...

Oct 21, 2015, 08:30 AM
    I already have 4 cats, a dog, 2 rats, a hamster, a lizard, a lucky cricket, a betta fish, a tank of freshwater fish and a tarantula.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2015, 08:50 AM
    I already have 4 cats, a dog, 2 rats, a hamster, a lizard, a lucky cricket, a betta fish, a tank of freshwater fish and a tarantula.
    That information only reinforces what I've said in this thread.

Oct 21, 2015, 07:24 PM
    How so?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2015, 07:27 PM
    How so?
    You have no time to give a horse.

Oct 22, 2015, 07:52 AM
    I actually do. Plenty of time.

Can someone just answer my darn question without acting like I'm stupid or mentioning the horse, please? What you say won't change my mind.
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2015, 08:03 AM

Can someone just answer my darn question without acting like I'm stupid or mentioning the horse, please? What you say won't change my mind.
    Why don't you listen to what people who actually know are telling you.

There is a reason you are not getting the answer you want to hear... VERY good reasons and we have told you. All of them are excellent reasons.

God you are stubborn... and that is NOT an endearing trait, and it is one that WILL get you in a lot of trouble in the future.

Reality is in fact nothing like the average (or even most) 13 year olds believe it is.

At 13 you simple ARE NOT going to get a regular job... even at 16 many places good luck getting one at all. (There are college Graduates having trouble finding ANY job, and trust me THEY will get hired before any kid will be for any given job) Between school work and home work you don't have much time... add in a job to that and you have NO time. It will take several hours of work a day just tending to the horses needs. WITHOUT the time to ride it, and if you do not ride it regularly.. very, very soon it will not let you even bridle it much less put a saddle on it (other big expenses) to ride it.

If you want treated with more respect... show a bit more maturity and listen to what others have taken the time to tell you here. We have the experience... You on the other hand do not.

And by time...weekends and summers do not count....you HAVE to have it every day...at different times in the day. Doesn't matter if you are sick or tired. Doesn't matter if you wanted to do anything with your friends...THAT HORSE will have to come first.

In a few more years..you are going to want to date....you won't have any time to date anyone after taking care of your personal zoo and your horse.

And something else.....WE ALL know what its like to be thirteen.....most of us have had kids your age as well.....you however do not yet have the maturity or the life experience to understand the truth or the reasoning behind all of the very good answers you have been given so far.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Oct 22, 2015, 08:43 AM
    You guys have it all wrong, you should be asking him questions. He has all the answers, be thankful he has asked for your questions. If you listen carefully you guys will be so much smarter about animals especially horses. Tongue in Cheek.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 22, 2015, 09:38 AM

You don't like what you have been told so far. Okay, then answer these questions:

1. What are the child labor laws in your area? What does OSHA say about child labor?

2. What are the local laws/regulations for going door-to-door looking for work and setting up sidewalk booths?

3. Do you have any money to buy supplies and/or pay fees to start your own business since many places will not hire teens under 16 even if labor laws allow it?

You don't want us discussing the horse. Then let's talk about 'time'. Whether you believe it or not, the amount of time you have affects how you can make money.

1. What are your school hours?

2. How much time is spent on homework (schoolwork that is given for you to do after your classes?)

3. How much time do you spend working with your dog? Training, exercise, feeding, walking, cleaning up after him/her, grooming, etc.?

4. How much time is spent taking care of the cats? The rats? The hamster? The lizard? The lucky cricket? The Betta fish? The tank of freshwater fish? The tarantula?

5. How much time do you actually spend at your uncle's place? What do you currently do while you are there? How do you get there and home? Travel time can turn out to be a major time-eater.

6. When do you go to bed? Get up? Eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

7. Do you have set chores such as helping make meals or cleaning up after? Home much time do they take?

8. How does visitation with your father affect your regular schedule?

Who currently pays for the upkeep of your pets?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 22, 2015, 01:24 PM

I did answer your question. What kind of answer do you want? All we can tell you is the truth, and the truth is that at your age there is no way to make enough money to accomplish what you want at this time.

Oct 22, 2015, 09:14 PM
    Everyone forget I said anything about the horse. Pretend my question was "How do I make money? What are some good ideas?"
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 23, 2015, 01:08 AM
    Mowing lawns, delivering papers, cleaning windows, are about all I can add to the suggestion you have already gotten. Not much chance to work for a 13-15 year old.
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2015, 03:11 AM
    My question is, how do I make big money fast if I'm still just a kid? I have been in love with horses forever. So today I started thinking and I've decided I would like to own my very own. I've taken lessons. I know how to walk, canter, and jump two or three feet. My mom said that if I can raise the money myself, I can purchase one. I live in the suburbs so I would have to house him in someone else's stables. They would take care of food, vet, and housing of course. I also need to save to buy the horse. I understand the big commitment, but I have been around horses all my life and I want to have a friend of my own. I would go and ride him/her everyday, make sure they get brushed, cleaned, fit for shoes, feed, water, clean stalls, and exercise. I know someone with a horse for sale and someone who houses so I might get a discount? It doesn't matter. I just need to make big money... and fast.

Any ideas?

Everyone forget I said anything about the horse. Pretend my question was "How do I make money? What are some good ideas?"
    Then in which case... at 13 what do you need a lot of money fast for then? Few people can or even would hire a 13 year old for anything except odd jobs around the house. Labor laws, lack of any real skills, no transportation except relying on someone else. Limited availability (School and other obligations).

Odd jobs pay little money..and take a relatively long time.

In other words.....Big money fast is a pipe dream even for adults. And for kids....as common as unicorns (real living ones..not the fake kind).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to make money as a 10 year old kid [ 2 Answers ]

I am 10 years old and cannot go into any neighbors house, because of my parents. I'm quite frankly very shy to go around selling stuff so what should I do?

What animated movie has a little asian kid and a big friendly creature she discovers? [ 1 Answers ]

I really liked this movie when I was little and I can't remember what it was called. I know it rained a lot in the movie and newer movie "panyo" reminds me a lot of it.

Can felt-tip art (unusual and inspired) make big money? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a fluidly self-expressive artist with a particular (ultra speedy) style of my own (incorporating 'dancing' symbolised figures etc) plus a lesser line in multi coloured complex 'blocks' of colour that are very abstractly representational. I have never tried to seek an outlet for these except...

View more questions Search