Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhouse30 Posts: 306, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2015, 07:21 AM
    LinuXMint 17.1 is slowing down
    I have had LlinuxXMint 17.1 since 4-2015. A couple of times recently it wouldn't take my password, but most of the time it does. I notice it's taking more time to download pages on the Internet.

Any tips on how to keep it at optimum will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 18, 2015, 07:45 AM
    Ran across this interesting article, ​Best Linux desktop of 2014: Linux Mint 17.1 | ZDNet, and would ask if you have been following your upgrade protocals and maintanance schedules regularly?

And Mint is going to stay on Ubuntu 14.04 for the next two years. According to Mint's developers, "Until 2016, the development team won't start working on a new base, and will be fully focused on this one." Furthermore, Mint 17.10 is a long-term support (LTS) version. It will receive security updates until 2019.
    In short, if you want a Linux desktop that you can deploy in your business and be certain of stability for five years, Mint has just become an excellent choice.
    That's not to say that Linux Mint will go stale. Besides offering continual security updates for years, Mint gives you the ability to upgrade not just programs, but even the power to update to new Linux kernels. The new Linux kernel selection screen is redesigned to let you quickly review new features, known security fixes, and regressions.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 19, 2015, 04:11 PM
    Per PM

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutoWeeklyUpdateHowTo

Desktop method - default

If you have installed the full desktop version of Ubuntu, everything you need is already installed and running. Package updates can be scheduled from the desktop.
    You can change how and when the system updates itself. Click System, Administration, Software Sources. You will be prompted for your password. Once you've entered that, click Updates. You'll see various categories of updates, and underneath Automatic Updates, you'll seeCheck for updates: and a schedule. You can select daily, weekly, manually etc. You can also select whether you wish the system to:

• Install security updates without confirmation (ie. download and install)

• Download all updates in the background (ie. download but wait for you to manually install them)
    • Only notify about available updates (ie. nag you to manually download updates and to manually install them)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PC clocking slowing [ 3 Answers ]

My PC system clock slows down approx. 5 minutes a week. What do I do? Do I change my MB's CMOS battery?

Slowing an AC motor [ 1 Answers ]

I want to use an old vacum cleaner motor for a yard display project . How can slow the moter to reduct the RPM on the output shaft. I would like to slow the moter instead of gearing down the speed

My computer is slowing down. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, When I make any action "like changing a web page" my computer slows down and in my Windows task manager it shows that my CPU usage history spike all the way to the top. I haven't added anything new to my computer lately and in fact I have gotten rid of a few things to try to speed it up. I...

Slowing down [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so here's the floor plan. I had a best friend in Elementary school who had a sister. Me and my best friend did everything camping, sports, everything. Then as time grew on drifted away but always were friends. So about I would say 12 years later I'm at the gym and I see my elementary friends...

Slowing Clock [ 4 Answers ]

The clock on my computer is slowly losing time. It only loses about 5 minutes in 12 hours, but it's getting very annoying to reset. I'm almost sure that it is not a battery problem, as the computer is only three months old.

View more questions Search