Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2005, 06:59 AM
    Possible New Virus
    Hi,
    Emails are being circulated and forwarded with a new virus warning, for which there are not yet any Antivirus Definitions.

The following may or may not be a Hoax.

A new virus is going around. It comes to you in email with the subject line "A Card for You".
    If you open this email, the virus will delete everything on the hard drive.

Again, this may or may not be a hoax.
    This is just for information.
    fredg

Update: 03-06-05
    Thank you, Nez, for the link. Looks like a hoax.
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2005, 09:06 AM
    Anyone who opens any e-mail from a stranger is not practicing safe computing. To open the e-mail and download something or click on a link is being downright foolish and asking for trouble.

It amazes me with the amount of publicity about viruses, phishing scams, identity theft, etc. that people still are unaware of the dangers.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Mar 5, 2005, 09:44 AM
    Hoaxes
    Never,never,never,open an email attachment from anyone you don't know.

Visit this site,which lists all the latest viruses and hoaxes.

http://www.datafellows.com/news/hoax.htm

It's bad enough with spyware.A set of viruses could spell catastrophe.Noone likes spending hours trying to recover valuable data,and personal effects.

Be careful out there,
    Nez.

Update.

Fred's right,according to Microsoft and Mcafee "A Card For You' was discovered yesterday.It is the most destructive yet and their is NO CURE so far.See the link below for details.But is it a hoax?

As Fleetwood Mac once said:"Rumours"

http://www.f-secure.com/hoaxes/vcredit.shtml
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Mar 5, 2005, 12:26 PM
    Howdy:

This "virus problem" has been around for ages and as Symantec says "The only cause for concern it causes is filling the email servers with warnings from everyone to be aware of this new virus"!

As per www.snopes.com

"The "Virtual Card for You" hoax (now often circulated simply as a "A Card for You") has been making the rounds in various languages since at least 2000, with occasional changes along the way. No such (incurable) virus ever existed, was identified by McAfee, was reported on by CNN, or "caused panic in New York." "

Murray
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Mar 7, 2005, 02:39 PM
    Heh. Social Engineering Virus.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2005, 01:06 AM
    Its just spam, no less but if opening it, it may upload spyware, that's why you never open anything except what or who you know. Oh and the new sister program to Firefox, thunderbird is great and everyone should try it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Virus, please help [ 15 Answers ]

I've got a message on my computer saying C:\WINDOW\TEMP\SE.DLL is infected with trojan horse start page.19.J I haven't a clue what to do, please help.

Please help me,Is it a virus or what? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi folks,, I am so happy to join this site cz it's the most valuable site in the whole net,, and I have a problem(as usual... lol) I want you please to help me through it... Actually it's 2 problems :confused:... first: whenever I try to close any program, a strange message -for instance- says: ...

Virus [ 4 Answers ]

I have trend Pcillin virus scanner which finds the follwing viruses : ADW_NCASE.A ADW_MIWAY WORM SOBER A These are shown as deleted but when I scan again they are still there When I do AVG virus scan - these do not show Helppppp please - are they there or not Thanks

Anti virus disable, is is a virus? [ 1 Answers ]

I was running AVG atni-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem.  so I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

View more questions Search