Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2015, 06:04 AM
    Computer slow slow slow
    This is what I am working with. It's an HP G72 laptop with an Intel processor [email protected] GHz. 8 GB of RAM and 64 bit Win 7.

The problem centers around browsers. If I run Chrome or Firefox, task manager tells me they are eating up at least 70% of processor capacity and usually more. The result is very slow browsing and herky-jerky videos. I have maxed out the memory so that is not an option. Am I missing something, or is it just time to get a new computer. This is, by the way, a laptop and is around six years old.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 12, 2015, 10:18 AM
    You could spend hours trouble shooting this.
    TBH cut to the chase, back up data and rebuild is your best course of action.
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2015, 01:08 PM
    Rebuild as in new processor? If so, then what are my options there?
    BossMan

Oct 12, 2015, 01:16 PM
    Rebuild as in format and reinstall the operating system.
    Basically Factory refresh.
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2015, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Rebuild as in format and reinstall the operating system.
    Basically Factory refresh.
    Got you. Unfortunately, don't have the operating system on CD. There is a recovery partition. Can I reinstall from that?
    BossMan

Oct 12, 2015, 11:19 PM
    Yep, that's the factory image.
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2015, 08:23 PM
    Well, the problem has been at least partially resolved. Used a program called (of all things) PC decrapifier. I got rid of a number of programs, and that seemed to speed things up, at least to an acceptable level. Thanks for the advice.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Oct 15, 2015, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Well, the problem has been at least partially resolved. Used a program called (of all things) PC decrapifier. I got rid of a number of programs, and that seemed to speed things up, at least to an acceptable level. Thanks for the advice.
    I would grab yourself a virus scanner, malware scanner, and ad-ware scanner and run it on your computer after running this decrapifier. Most of those cleaners clean, but install their own stuff on top of it.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Oct 19, 2015, 04:34 PM
    Also check your browsers for any tool bars that may have been installed. Some of them can be removed from the Control Panels Programs folder others from inside the browser. Tool bars are tricky these days coming attached to a lot of freeware and shareware. Choose a custom install when its offered to see the ones hidden by default.
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2015, 07:25 AM
    Just to catch everyone up, after I removed several program, I did the upgrade to Win 10. That seemed to help a little, especially using the new Edge browser. So we're some better, but I'm still looking for any more increases I can get short of reloading the OS. Kind of hate to do that since it will mean having to reload a lot of programs.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 28, 2015, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Just to catch everyone up, after I removed several program, I did the upgrade to Win 10. That seemed to help a little, especially using the new Edge browser. So we're some better, but I'm still looking for any more increases I can get short of reloading the OS. Kind of hate to do that since it will mean having to reload a lot of programs.

First off thanks for coming back with an update.

Have you tried checking for viruses and malware? Malwarebytes has a free version you can run to check malware and you can use many different programs for viruses. Another good program is Ccleaner. It also is a free program and with it you can see what is starting up when you start your computer. It is highly possible that you are loading many things you dont honestly need and it is gouging your resouces. Also have you defraged the HardDrive ?

Keep us posted.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Dec 6, 2015, 11:03 AM
    Malwarebytes works best when run from safe mode. Since safe mode loads a minimum of services and drivers it makes it difficult for spyware and viruses to defend themselves.
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2015, 01:06 PM
    Went to MSconfig and was able to disable a few more startup programs. That seems to have helped even more. Haven't tried a malware program but I will. I have been running Norton pretty faithfully so I don't think a virus is a big problem. I'll let you know how it goes. So far, it is a good bit better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow slow hair growth? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi does anyone know how to make your hair grow really fast? My hair grows about an inch per year.. if that.. ive tried a lot and nothing helps! :/

My computer is running slow, I have 12gb, from my server but it still runs slow [ 2 Answers ]

My computer runs slow, I am suppoe to have high tech internet speed. But it takes a while to respond

Slow flush toilet with slow drain bathroom sink [ 3 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased an 8 year old townhouse. We have a double vanity (2 sinks), a toilet, a free standing shower, and a jacuzzi in our master bath. I have a two fold problem which I believe are related. The toilet last week...

Slow turn braking. Pedal Vibrates and Truck does not slow [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I have a 98 Ford Expedition. My ABS brake sometimes comes on... When going in a slow turn, my pedal sometimes shakes and does not brake. I usually have to pump the pedal to get it to brake. What is this? Thanks for your advice in advance.

Forced Air Furnace flame good, fan goes slow then fast then slow, etc [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a forced air propane furnace in a "Park Model" rv trailer. (This is a bit smaller than a mobile home) The furnace is used infrequently as the trailer is located in a sumer resort vacation area, however we do like to go up a couple of times in the winter months. Furnace was...

View more questions Search