Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheerchic24 Posts: 69, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Back tuck
    I have my running back tuck and I just recently started working on my standing. I have it off a spring board and into the "pit" I really want to get it on the floor soon. Any tips on how 2 improve my tuck?
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Apr 11, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Let's talk about 4 things that you should have to make a good back tuck.

1. Strong jump

You need to have a really strong jump that will require the use of both arms and legs. It is very important to remember that the jump should go up and not back. You can work on strengthening the jump by doing lots of plyometrics and lots of bounding jumps on the floor. Make sure to use your whole leg to jump and push all the way through the toes.

Using the springboard is a good progression. Your next step would be to take the springboard to the floor and throw your tucks into an 8" crash mat. Another step after that is to stand on a box (12") and throw the tucks into the crash mat. Going to the box from the springboard allows you to do more of the jumping work but maintaining the height. As you strengthen the jump you can then transition to the floor.

Make sure you have spotting throughout this process.

2. Strong set

You need to have a strong set, or kip, with the arms. You want to lift the arms up as aggressively as possible and stop them right about 45º. Here it is important to have good timing. Your set should stop at the same time as you push off the toes for maximum lift. This strong lift coupled with the jump will help to get higher for the tuck. The higher, the better, of course.

3. Strong hollow body tuck

We jump first and then tuck but the tuck needs to be in a hollow position. (Refer to my other post to you about the hollow) Be careful NOT to simply bring the knees to the chest. Rather, think of it as pulling the knees up over your head as you would for a backward roll on the floor. You may also think of it as pulling the knees up through the arms like a football through the uprights in a field goal. You need to be aggressive about snapping into the hollow tuck position as that is the most effective way to generate the rotation.

4. Keep your head in

Don't throw your head back. Keep your chin to your chest and look for the knees coming up. It is common to throw the head back but you will actually make it harder and less safe if you do that. Good head position makes for faster rotation.

Make sure to take some time to visualize yourself making several back tucks on floor as well.

This is sort of the tip of the iceberg but it should give you plenty to start with.

Good Luck!

Apr 12, 2007, 03:39 PM
    I feel kind of embarrsing asking this because I think I should no, but what are plyometrics? Are the thinks where you have a bunch of mats stacked up and you jump on 1 then off then on the next 1 and...
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Apr 12, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Yep, that is exactly what I am talking about.

Apr 13, 2007, 08:15 PM
    K, thx:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

Nip Tuck [ 9 Answers ]

Looking for the name of a song played in Nip Tuck. It was played in a surgery last season. It is an opera type song that is just a lady singing in a high pitched voice. I thought it was Tchaikovsky Swan Lake but it wasn't. It just goes ah ah ah ahah

2 periods back to back with large blood clots! [ 6 Answers ]

I have just stared yet another period after just ending one 5 days ago. I had major pain with the last one, I have never had that kind of pain before. Now with this period I just found an extremely large blood clot. Although it looked more like tissue then an actual bllod clot. What could this be...

Back tuck [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, I have a problem! I got my round-off back-tuck this cheerin season but I cat only do it sum times! Sum times it's really high but other times it pretty much a back hand spring that's how low it is!! I am doing the sme thing every time though! But I'm scared that 4 try outs its going to be...

Interlocking plate back to back feed [ 2 Answers ]

If I use a interlocking plate to backfeed my main(homelite 200amp)from my generator... from my garage... can I use the braker that is feeding the garage if I put it in the proper place to accommodate the interlocking plate? It's a 220 30 amp braker... so part of the question is... will the...

View more questions Search