Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marybwelch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2015, 10:57 AM
    How much should the cremation ashes if a 6'2 23 year old male weigh?
    I lost my son last year and couldn't afford anything but cremation as both my son and I have muscular dystrophy.
    I remember how very heavy his ashes were compared to my dads. Nate was only 23 and only weighed about 140 and my dad was 63 with huge bones and weighed about 300lbs. The funeral director explained why Nate was so much heavier.
    The other day I picked up his urn and noticed he was much lighter than he was the last time I picked him up.
    I need to know how much he weighed because I know the only person who would want his ashes. Unfortunately my daughter is socially challenged and she has helped this person only because my daughter wants everyone to like her and I know I can get her to confess.
    Right now he weighs 6lbs 2oz
    Please someone tell me, How much should he weigh??
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 10, 2015, 02:36 PM
    There is no exact or even close weight for cremation.
    The funeral director explained about your father, but you don't want to tell us what he said?
    Laws vary by state, and also over time within your state.
    E.g., some states require that cremation be done in a box of a certain composition, and that material will end up as part of the ashes.
    Given that most of a cremation is bone ash and fragments, vs muscle and fat and fluids, bone size and density is a factor, not weight when they were alive.

I'm sorry this is such a matter of concern to you, especially as it relates to your relationship with your daughter. Get her to confess what - that she somehow took a cup of her brother's ashes out of the funeral home? Is that a horrible thing to do? My siblings and I divided up each parent's ashes. It's very common. And.... what if she didn't do anything?? What if no one did???
    Please call the funeral director again, or try to let it go.
    Countless people come here saying that another relative has the ashes and won't release them or share them, maybe even a brand new spouse.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 10, 2015, 03:06 PM
    Can you not think about your question ? The ashes would only weigh a few ounces.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 10, 2015, 06:53 PM
    Here's an article about cremation: Cremating a Human Body: Getting Down to the Nitty Gritty - HowStuffWorks. It says the weight is between 3 and 9 pounds. The article gives reasons for variances in the weight. I hope this helps you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 10, 2015, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marybwelch View Post
    I need to know how much he weighed because I know the only person who would want his ashes. Unfortunately my daughter is socially challenged and she has helped this person only because my daughter wants everyone to like her and I know I can get her to confess.
    Are you thinking your daughter has given some of the ashes to "this person"? If that's the case, gently ask your daughter about this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cremation Ashes Appearance [ 3 Answers ]

I have lost 2 daughters to terminal illnesses. Both were cremated and I have their cremains. My question is my first daughters are a cream/grayish color, my second daughters were super black and feels & looks like potting soil. Is this normal? Also they weighed almost 3 pounds! My daughter only...

Coloured cremation ashes [ 3 Answers ]

My mother's ashes were delivered yesterday; they are multi-coloured - mainly grey and white as expected but with shards of blue, pink, brown and black flecks. What is this? There was also a bent pin of approximately one inch - was this from the body or the coffin? I realise whoever answers this...

Hello, I am a 15 year old male, 6 foot 3 and I weigh 270 pounds. Weird feeling head [ 0 Answers ]

one night while I was watching TV I got this random feeling like an itch in my forehead, so I itched it then it didn't go away so I had a shower. After my shower the weird painless feeling still didn't go away and I panicked. I when t on Google and started looking stuff up and I was very scared...

How much does a infant child weigh after cremation? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm writing a book and I need to know how much an infant boy would weigh after cremation?

What should a year old male sable collie weigh? [ 1 Answers ]

My sable collie is 12 months old and weighs between 25-30lbs. He looks very skinny, but seems to eat well,is active, and has a beautiful coat. He lives outside on our six acre fenced in residence. We recently gave him a 3 day treatment of over the counter worm medicine, because I thought maybe...

View more questions Search