Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kseelke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2015, 01:43 PM
    Is it a HIPAA violation to skype or record a patient in the neonatal intensive care
    Is it a HIPAA violation to skype or record a patient in the neonatal intensive care unit

joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 9, 2015, 02:27 PM
    Who is doing it? If it's someone not on the staff of the hospital, no. It's between the two private parties.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 9, 2015, 02:53 PM
    100% yes if the person is a caregiver and not a parent or visitor.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 9, 2015, 05:56 PM
    Depends on who they are. Please elaborate.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 9, 2015, 07:26 PM
    Only members of the medical profession can violate HIPAA so it depends on who is doing the recording.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 10, 2015, 01:34 AM
    I would find it hard to believe a doctor or nurse would do this.
    1,Did patient give permission.

2. If Skype, who is the other person watching, is it done so another medical professional can consult?

3. If recorded why, is it being recorded for medical study, was there something strange about what was happening?

Who is doing it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2015, 04:16 PM
    As noted, you don't give us enough info to advise. You have to explain who was doing the recording, the relationship to the patient and why.

Since you mention neonatal unit, I assume it was an infant being recorded. The infant can't give permission. If the idea was to allow relatives to see the newborn and the parents did the recording, it shouldn't be an issue. But if the parents did not give permission or another child was shown it could be a problem. So please elaborate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is posting a memorial picture of a deceased patient a HIPAA violation? [ 4 Answers ]

Is posting a picture of a deceased patient whom you were close with a HIPAA violation?

Is emailing a photo of recently deceased patient is a hipaa violation [ 6 Answers ]

My father recently passed away in an assisted living home in Florida. The aide who was taking care of him for the last 2 years took a photo with her camera just minutes after he passed and emailed it to my brother. This has been a very traumatic and unsettling event that has added much anxiety and...

Is it a HIPAA violation if I write an email to a patient's provider & cc a union rep? [ 3 Answers ]

I work for a dental school, and our front desk staff was rude to a both me and my patient. And taking into consideration that my manager has it out for me, but knows that I'm union protected, I wrote an email to this manager and cc'd my union rep to have the incident documented. I wrote in the...

Texting Patient pictures with no name, HIPAA violation? [ 10 Answers ]

1) If a nurse take a picture of a severely handicap patient and makes a comment in text form making fun of the baby's handicap, sends the message and the picture to a non-medical professional, Is that a HIPAA violation. 2) If a nurse takes a picture of a patient and texts the picture with the...

Is it a hipaa violation if I, the employee, called a patient for personal reasons? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a front desk receptionist for a dental office. A patient came in, was very friendly, flirty, etc. The next day I got his phone number and sent him a tex message. In the tex, I told him who I was, and that if he was SINGLE and interested then he could call me. We don't have an office policy...

View more questions Search