Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chazsgang Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2005, 05:10 AM
    Chk disc
    Hi Folks,

I have checked the sit, I thought this would have been on here but its not.

All of a sudden in the last weeks my PC has started to do two strange things. It takes approx 3 to 4 minutes to close down, it hangs on the "Windows is shutting Down" screen before shutting off.

Then when I start up it gives me the blue screen saying " Checking folder system on D:
    One of your disks needed to be checked for consistancy etc."

It then goes on to do the check but finds nothing, or at least I assume it does.

I am using windows xp pro with sp2 installed and my windows files are located in C:Drive.

I would be grateful if someone could offer me some advice on what to do or download any programs that could help me.

Thanks

Charllie
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2005, 06:23 AM
    Open My Computer and right click on the D Drive and select Tools then Error checking. Run that against the drive. If you still encounter further problems, you may want to replace the drive before it fails.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2005, 07:37 AM
    Check Disc
    Hi,
    Here is another way to access the Error Checking, step by step:
    Go to Start/Programs/ Windows Explorer
    Right click on the drive you want to check, in this case D.
    Left click on Properties.
    At the top, click on the Tools tab.
    Under the heading "Error Checking", click on "Check Now".
    If you want the scan to check the disk sectors or attempt to make repairs, select those options, and click Start.
    Close Windows Explorer when you are done.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    chazsgang Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2005, 10:54 AM
    Hi Guys,

Thks for your reply, thks fredg this is second time you helped me, I appreciate it.

I tried what you advised but its still the same slow shutdown and chk disc on start up. What does this mean, is there any other things I can try?

Cheerrs guys

Charllie
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Mar 5, 2005, 07:24 PM
    Check out the following link.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowshutdown.htm
    cbee55 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Mar 6, 2005, 12:49 PM
    If your Drive D is on NTFS, try the following:
    1) Click "Start", then select "Run"
    2) At the prompt type "cmd" to get to a command prompt
    3) Run "chkntfs d:"

If chkntfs reports back that Drive D is "dirty", that will explain why it keeps running chkdsk at start up. Could be your drives on it's way out, or just general corruption somewhere. Chkdsk should sort out a dirty ntfs volume, but I have had several in the past where the easiest thing was to wipe the drive and start from scratch.

If this comes back as OK, try checking the "Event Viewer" on your system

1) Click "Start", then select "Run"
    2) At the prompt type "eventvwr"

Look for any errors logged about the time you have been shutting your system down. Then try looking these up on either the Microsoft Knowlegde Base, or checking the Event Viewer info at http://www.eventid.net/
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Mar 22, 2005, 09:56 PM
    Sp2
    Are you sure you need SP2, I know many people, myself included that has ended up removing SP2, due to one reason or another, it can vary.

Also, I know several, that can't even get SP2 to install, so unless your sure you need something that it includes in it's update, it is buggy and can be a headache, but if you have installed and it's running fine, then your one of the lucky ones.

There are not many of you.
    :)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2005, 05:19 AM
    D drive problem
    Hi,
    When did you download/install SP2?
    Was it long before you started having this issue?
    If it was around the same time, I would get rid of the SP2, and see if that solves the issue.
    I agree with Wendy on the SP2 sometimes causing problems. The web is full of forums with issues.
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Mar 23, 2005, 06:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy225
    Are you sure you need SP2, I know many people, myself included that has ended up removing SP2, due to one reason or another, it can vary.

Also, I know several, that can't even get SP2 to install, so unless your sure you need something that it includes in it's update, it is buggy and can be a headache, but if you have installed and it's running fine, then your one of the lucky ones.

there are not many of you.
    :)
    Wendy,
    Where do you get your information? As far as I know, the majority of people are running SP2 without a problem. The ones with problems are in the minority. And those problems are caused more by config issues or user error then any bugs in the patch. I'm using SP2 without any problems on 2 machines at home. I know bunches of people that have installed it with no problem. I'm not denying there have been some problems with it and I know there are forums all over the WEB about them. But that happens with ANY software. Those who have problems are the vocals ones. The purpose of such forums is to report problems, not to report that things are running smoothly. To say that those who haven't had problems are "the lucky ones" and that there aren't "many of you" is totally false. You don't help people by giving out such misinformation and hurt your own credibility when you do so.

Also there was nothing in the original question that indicated the problem had to do with SP2 at all.

May I also point out this thread was originally started on 3/5 and had been dormant for 2 weeks. It doesn't help other people looking to help when you revive old threads. If there has been no activity on a thread for a week or more the issue should be left dead. ANYONE answering questions here should be paying attention to post dates before adding an answer to a thread.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2005, 12:30 PM
    Yeah actually that's what has been floating around, my friend I know way across the country. Says that sp2 is bad, and basically he never updates and he heard it from somewhere all this crap. Sometimes it'll cause a problem or two, but well it most of the time I've seen it's the persons fault. Thank god I got him to use avg :D and he's removed trojans like crazy

Mar 23, 2005, 05:07 PM
    Briggs,
    There are lots of things "floating around". Doesn't mean they are true. Most professional reviewers recommend installing SP2. There are millions of people with XP and SP2 out there. There are not millions of people with problems.

This happens with just about ANY major software release. The reality of WinTel computing is that there are just too many different configurations for Microsoft to test everything. There are always going to be people with odd configurations, or people who don't follow instructions, or people who try to upgrade a machine trashed by viruses or spyware, etc. who will have problems with new software, especially something like a major OS patch. (this is why the MAC doesn't have such problems, because MACs are a much more controlled environment).

That reality means people are going to have problems with new software. Do we do them a service by repeating unsubstantiated claims and warning them off something that may benefit them? Not In my opinion. Yes we should warn of potential problems. But one of the best things about SP2 is its easy to uninstall. If you encounter problems, just uninstall it.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2005, 06:40 PM
    Yeah that's what I know, I tried and tried to tell him its nothing wrong but well what can you do when that don't work, give them a good av and spyware program. Most of the crap floating around is utter jibberish.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Formating disc [ 7 Answers ]

I have win 98se.installed. Iwant to format my hard disc. Iwant to make three partitions. Pls explain in detail the steps for formating and installing window xp. Thanks

Creating xp disc [ 3 Answers ]

I have purchased a second hand computer which has xp loaded on it but it did not come with an xp disc. I want to transfer the required files from this computer to make a bootable disc so that I can re-install if it is required later. Thanks

1GB installer to 2 700MB disc... [ 18 Answers ]

I hope this forum could help me, I have a 1GB installer and I want to burn it into 2 700MB disc that will like if I insert disc1 when its done it will ask for disc2... but I don't know what file should be into disc1 and what in disc2... Can you help me for this... :confused: please...

CD Burning : Can't start disc-at once [ 1 Answers ]

When I am trying to burn a Video CD, after creating the image nero reporting error as Cannot start Disc at once and making the process to fail. The same disc I tried on another compter with same os (Xp) and same version of Nero (6) it worked there. What could be the reason?

Once I Have Made A Disc, Can I Make Copies Of The Disc Uncopiable? [ 6 Answers ]

Yeah erm, I have made a disc consisting of some word and excel files. I would like to sell this disc as it is interactive and can benefit people. How do I copy the disc so people can use it but cannot re write/copy it on their computer and sell it on? :rolleyes:

View more questions Search