Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dolphin200284 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2015, 05:18 PM
    Psoriasis
    I have psoriasis, someone told me about a shampoo that contains Ketoconazole will that help with my psoriasis on my scalp?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 6, 2015, 05:30 PM
    Ketoconazole is used to treat certain serious fungal infections in the body. Ketoconazole belongs to the class of drugs called azole antifungals. It works by stopping the growth of the fungus.

Ketoconazole should not be used to treat fungal infections in the brain or on the skin and nails.
    OTHER USES: This section contains uses of this drug that are not listed in the approved professional labeling for the drug but that may be prescribed by your health care professional. Use this drug for a condition that is listed in this section only if it has been so prescribed by your health care professional...
    Found here:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...1rNuY94VzeUlkw

Based on that, I'd ask your doctor before using this product.

After reading further, there is a cream, and shampoos, but even they have side effects. It really would be best to ask your doctor before using any treatment with this ingredient, just to be sure that you're getting the right advice and using the right product.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2015, 07:11 PM
    Psoriasis is not a fungal infection. It's an autoimmune disease. There are shampoos containing coal tar that help some people. If you have psoriasis (and are not just guessing), you should develop a good relationship with a dermatologist and take their recommendations on treatment, and keep good track of your results so you can keep them informed over time and they can in turn advise you.

If the product you are considering is truly an anti-fungal product, it probably isn't the right thing for psoriasis.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 6, 2015, 08:00 PM
    I used that shampoo for my dog when he had ringworm. Have your doctor prescribe products specifically for psoriasis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Psoriasis for 6 yr old [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all.. My son got a repeated strep throats in 2013 Jan and within 1-2 months, he got the first spot of psoriasis. Doctor was treating him with Triamcinolocone and Amoxicillin . His condition got worsened and finally because of skin infection on the whole body, he had to hospitalized for a...

Psoriasis [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I'm desperate and looking for help. I have psoriasis on my face and would like to know if anyone has any ideas on treatment options. Also, has anyone tried Protopic or Elidel? I've been prescribed this but due to some research, I'm afraid to use it. Thank you in...

Psoriasis & Psoriasis arthritis [ 2 Answers ]

OK I am 20 yrs old I will be 21 in August, I have had psoriasis since I was 14ish and I have it from my head to my feet, in patches, I feel like I am the only one with it sometimes. I have been looking all day for clinical trials or some way I can get my meds free, I really want Enbrel, I have...

Psoriasis cure? [ 5 Answers ]

A year ago, my scalp was full of dandruff. I have consulted it to dermatologists but they just prescribe me scalp treatment solutions after a while of applying it every night, it just doesn't work for my scalp. I even had some break outs (scaly red patches) on my arms and legs (just minimal can't...

Psoriasis? [ 4 Answers ]

How does a man treat Psoriasis on his penis? :confused:

View more questions Search